Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did they do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h t t p : / / w w w . h e r u - u r . o r g / w a r f a r e / w e a p o n s . h t m l

Quote:
By the end of the Predynastic period, weapons were being made from copper mined in Kemet. Some of the ores of copper that was being formed into the spearheads and battle axes naturally blended with deposits of tin to form a natural bronze alloy long before bronze smelting technology evolved.

As a side note, one of the major criticisms of the pyramids being built by the people of the Old Kingdom is that only bronze tools could have done the carving of the stones, and since the old kingdom occurred before the bronze age it was impossible.

Suffice to say, natural bronze alloy was available since the Predynastic period.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice site on weaponry, Chrismackint. As for the people who argue against the pyramids dating to the Old Kingdom because it was before the Bronze Age, I would remind them of this age as it relates to the ancient Near East:

Early Bronze Age (c.3500-2000 BC)
Middle Bronze Age (c.2000-1600 BC)
Late Bronze Age (c.1600-1200 BC)

So the pyramids of Dyansty 4, for example, fall solidly within the Early Bronze Age. It's more than possible that some crude bronze tools were being deliberately manufactured at the time, but copper was still the norm. I didn't know about the natural blending with tin, so that was interesting to read. The dates I know, but metallurgy isn't one of my strongpoints. Embarassed

So what exactly are these people trying to argue, that the pyramids were built much later? They seem to lack common sense. And what would they say to the loons who believe the pyramids weren't built 4000+ years ago but 10,000 years ago?

Laughing

Visit my blog!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tin part interesting aswell...i don't exactly know what it means though...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient peoples discovered that when they smelted tin with their copper, they produced a new, stronger metal: bronze. Your post was interesting because it explained how in some instances there may have been a natural mixture of copper and tin in the quarries, and so even many of the copper tools so common from the Old Kingdom may have been of better quality.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: