Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomb of Doctor found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Tomb of Doctor found Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already.
A physician by the name of Qar was found near Saqqara.
The tomb was found in 2000?

Quote:
Archaeologists find mummified remains

By Maamoun Youssef, The Associated Press
CAIRO — Archaeologists have discovered the mummified remains of a doctor they believe lived more than 4,000 years ago and was buried along with metal surgical tools.

The mummy was discovered in Saqqara, 12 miles south of Cairo, while archaeologists were cleaning a nearby site, Egypt's official Middle East News Agency quoted Zahi Hawass, chief of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, as saying.

Hawass said the doctor, named Qar, lived under the 6th dynasty from about 2350 B.C. to 2180 B.C., and that the upper part of the tomb was discovered in 2000 while the sarcophagus was found during more recent cleaning work.

"The lid of the wooden casket had excellent and well-preserved decorations ... and the mummy's linen wrappings and the funerary drawings are still in their original condition," Hawass said.

He said the mask covering the face of the mummy was very well preserved despite slight damage to the mouth area.

Bronze surgical instruments, earthenware containers bearing the doctor's name, a round limestone table, and 22 bronze statues of gods were also discovered, Hawass said.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Original newsitem comes from here
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the tomb itself was found some time ago. In the process of further clearing and cleaning, the mummy, sarcophagus, and other artifacts have been newly found.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I saw mention of this tomb in one of our other forums, but that's all right. It's an exciting find. It's more evidence of how advanced and established the trade of physician was even in the Old Kingdom. "Trade"? Maybe that's not the right word but you know what I mean.

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a report in tonight's EEF News that this mummy and sarcophagus are a later intrusion into this tomb after all. The story cited for this can be found here:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/823/he3.htm
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that now, thanks to the great picture. The first thing that came to my mind was "Late Period." An interesting article, ket. Thanks for sharing it.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: