Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramose, unguent maker for the Princess Meritaten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Ramose, unguent maker for the Princess Meritaten Reply with quote

In Edward Wente's book Letters from Ancient Egypt there is mention of Ramose, unguent preparator of the house of Princess Meritaten.

Two of Ramose's letters were found in Amarna. One letter is written to his brother Meh, who is a treasury scribe.
Another letter is written to his sister, the lady of the house, Sherire.

In both he complains that they never write him, but it looks rather formulaic.

I looked up what a unguent preparer does and it sounds rather complicated. He was charged with making the perfume cones we see so often in tomb paintings.

I think they boiled fragrant wood chips in wine to create infusions.
They added herbs and fats to this and cooked slowly.
Then the fat was skimmed off. More herbs could be added.
Finally fat cakes were made which could rest and absorb more fragrance.
Boiling water then allowed them to purify this so they could create the perfumed fat cones they wore on their head.

I found the mention of one unguent maker associated with Princess Meritaten rather interesting. Each of the royals could very well have had quite an elaborate entourage. Smile

[/list]
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Anneke Smile .

I found a copy of Ramose's letter to his sister.

He writes "It has been a period of four (?) years now that no letter has reached [me] here from you.
This must mean that Ramose was already 4 Years in Akhetaten.
He also mentions his daughter.
He also writes "Keep watch over the things that are in your possession because you can'tcomprehend how I live without a woman [here with me].
Apparently he had no wife there with him.

Do you know were these papyri were found? Are they found in The House of the Princess?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wente mentions that the papyrus letters were found in a tomb in Amarna. I don't know what tomb that would be though.

Wente also mentions that the letters supply evidence regarding a commoner's ability to call directly upon the Aten without the intermediation of the Pharaoh Akhenaten.

I foound the mention of the lack of wife interesting as well. It almost sounds as if he married but the wife doesn't want to join him?

I wondered where his relatives were when he wrote them? It sounds as though they are in a different city. Thebes? Memphis?
But that would be odd given that the letetrs were found in Amarna.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wente also mentions that the letters supply evidence regarding a commoner's ability to call directly upon the Aten without the intermediation of the Pharaoh Akhenaten.

Thats really interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: