Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gold pyramidion on Khufu's pyramid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-I thought you believed that the pyramid had a capstone on it after what was written on the other post, and the author of that article seems to believe that it had a capstone too and that it wasn't a myth...not sure about those conspiracy theories though. Rolling Eyes

Or are you just saying that even if it did have a golden capstone, it wouldn't be a good idea to put a new one on the pyramid anyway because once it's gone, it's gone...sadly.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCA had decided--I think it was in 1998--that a new, gold-plated capstone would be placed on the cap of the Great Pyramid in 2000. But later the decision was reversed. I think offically they were worried about using a helicopter to lower the new capstone in place, and also that a gold capstone would be too much of a temptation for robbers! Too bad, really. It would have looked great, in my opinion...
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis your right there is concrete proof that old kingdom pyramids had gold covered capstones, so i don't know why i posted that last post-i'm just a hypocrite......i think it would look great as well and i would like it to be done but as you said the original has already gone.....i don't know, the pyramids look so pathetic without their limestone casings with all the crumbling brickwork exposed and putting a golden covered capstone on top of the pyramid would in my opinion make them recapture some of the glory of their past....i guess when i posted earlier i had been on the computer for too long.

I am a very indecisive person and think too much before doing things....and change my mind all the time....

I read on Hawass's website or somewhere some one said they were going to coat the capstone in a fine layer of gold and that it was not going to be of solid gold-so i doubt anyone would go to all the trouble of stealing the capstone for such a small amount of gold-plus looking at reconstructions of the pyramids in books and tv, the capstones are very small in relation to the pyramid and are not as big as you might think, so it's really no big deal if they put a capstone on it? lol i don't know why i am so hesitant about things....i guess i find convincing arguments both ways and get caught up in them and my mind changes but ultimately yes i would like to see a capstone on khufus pyramid! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: