Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Granit Coffin of Akhenaten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Granit Coffin of Akhenaten Reply with quote

In the garden of the Cairo Museum, hidden around a corner are the remains of the Granit Coffin of Akhenaten, don't no why it stands there Sad not many people are aware of it or that it exists Confused They did a very good job, make it in the form of a coffin so you can imagen how it was, and after all that put it in a forgotten corner ?? Shocked Shocked Very strange Sad

Nefertete protecting

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an awful lot of inscriptions that seem to refer to Nefertiti. Her cartouche shows up a couple of times and I notice the title nebettawy (lady of the two lands) a couple of times?
Is this really Akhenaten's sarcophagus? Anyone know why it's identified as Akhenaten's? Is it really usual to have the royal wife's name appear so often on a King's sarcophagus?
Or is the small sample of inscriptions we have distorting this a bit?
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Nefertete is protecting Achnaton, in the place of the normal Godesses like Isis, Selket enz. you find normaly at the corners of the coffins, before and after the Amarna period.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are nice but it's sitting right in front of air conditioning units-the vibrations and hot air blowing out of them can't be doing the sarcophagus any good! Plus what would u do if water leaking out of the air con damaged the sarcophagus!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carla would it be possible to get a picture of the inside? i just want to see if it's true there is rubbish in there....
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i still think there is a certain element here where anything non islamic is treated as unimportant-i mean would there would be outrage if alexander the great or julius caesars sarcophagus was lying outside like this so why shouldn't i get frustrated when i see this?!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agh! I think i just over reacted i sent an e-mail to the bbc about this! i hope i don't get into trouble with the egyptian gov! But i think this needs to be brought to the attention of journalists....thats the only way things will change.it was there in 2003 and it's now 06!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cairo has 15 million people-one would think the pollution from all these people would be a legitamite hazard-like that ramses statue that was recently moved because pollution was eating away at it-why is this allowed to be at the mercy of pollution-those reliefs are fragile and nothing else like this in egypt exists!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt my e-mail will do anything but the thought that my actions could help preserve something from someone like Akhenaten is amazing to me...i'm just a nobody at the end of the day but to beable to in some way help Akhenaten gives me a good feeling.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Nefertiti's stone sarcophagus had images of Akhenaten protecting her? It would be interesting to find out...
carla
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
carla would it be possible to get a picture of the inside? i just want to see if it's true there is rubbish in there....

I have no pictures from the inside, but believe me there is rubbish in there for shure !!. Next time I wil ask somebody big enough Smile to make a picture for me from the inside.
Very Happy
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly Akhenaten's coffin was made very early in his reign, when he was still using the complicated form of the aten's name and when the extreme style of amarna art was being used....so i assume that if he was so concerned about his next life that he would have his stone coffin carved and made ready for his death then i naturally would assume he would have had his other burial items like golden coffins and mask made aswell....wouldn't that be amazing to look at-Akhenaten in that bizzare extreme style with the elongated features-but in solid gold-i think it would be amazing if he actually had his mask and other stuff made at that time, because i like how the unusual beauty of him in this style of art conveys an auroa of divinity.
That would mean Nefertiti aswell probably had her funeral stuff made at that time aswell and her mask would most probably be in the extreme style....

What do you people think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: