Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nubian wig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Nubian wig Reply with quote

Why was it called a Nubian Wig? Did it come from Nubia? I know it was worn during the Amarna period but i heard somewhere it was also worn during a later period-i am not sure if there is any fact behind this-does anyone know?
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently tryin to look into this myself at the moment!

So far I've got this from "The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt" by Redford;
"During the later half of the eighteenth dynasty, the distinction between male and female hairstyles blurred when coiffures such as the Nubian wig became popular. This hairstyle consisted of tapering rolls of tightly rolled ringlets in successive layers. Similar hairstyles are worn in sub-Saharan Africa today; the pharaonic hairstyle is believed to have been influenced by contemporary Nubian styles. Another hairstyle worn by both sexes, and influenced by Nubian styles, consisted of a rounded wig that reached to the nape of the neck and was often set in ringlets." (pages 73-76)

I'll try to get more info when (and if ) i can find anything else out Smile
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok thanks for all the information!
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because im basing my research on the ramesside era, i've been interested in a few items such as Nefertari in her nubian wigs at abu simbel, bintanath in a very similar wig once again at abu simbel ad the picture you posted of Ram II in a short nubian style wig;
http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/photo_ME0000048361.html

i don't know where the statue origianlly came from though. i dont think it was abu simbel. If it was, it would have been very nice for my argument Laughing

so far im thinking that with the 2 queens depicted in the wig at abu simbel, theres a connotation of them using this regalia to show that they are dominating this foregin land, as the pharaoh's queen. Because this temple was erected to instill awe and fear from the nubians, i believe the imagery shows that they have to recognise who's boss.
However, with redford saying that the amarna short wigs and nubian wigs went out of fashion in the 19th and 20th dynasties, i've hit a bit of a snag...

why are these ramesside representations cropping up if they went out of fashion?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking again at this booklet I got from one of my brothers several years ago.
In the great temple of Abu Simbel Nefertari is shown wearing the Nubian wig in at least two scenes. One of them is a smiting scene where she stands behind Ramesses as he's about to chop off someone's head.
This I found interesting, because according to an article in the most recent KMT journal it's rather rare that a Queen is shown in a smiting scene.
This is only known from the reign of Akhenaten, where they even took it a step further and had Nefertiti smiting female enemies and even had Princess Merytaten present.
There's a gold foil showing Ankhesenamen behind Tutankhamen as he smites the enemy.
And at the great temple of Abu Simbel Nefertari is shown right behind Ramesses. Not only that, she's depicted at the same size. So no diminutive queen here! She's wearing the short Nubian wig with a streamer in the back, and the wig is topped by the double plumes / sundisk combination.
She may be wearing a diadem (can't see the details all that well), and she has one uraaeus on her brow, who wears a horned sundisk.
Ramesses is shown slaying a Nubian prisoner.

I believe that after this, the King would only be shown accompanied by a goddess, never a Queen.

Nefertari is shown in the smaller Hathor temple in a very similar style of dress and regalia. Here she's wearing a short wig and the wig definitely has a diadem on it. This diadem has a gold ribbon coming off the back which ends in a uraeus. She also wears the uraeus on her brow. In this sscene she is apparently crowned by Hathor and Isis.

There's another scene in the smaller Hathor temple showing Nefertari shaking the sistra before a triad of gods. The one in the back is Horus I think.

In another book my brother gave me there's a picture of a scene from the tomb of Queen Tyti. This Queen may dat to the later part of the 20th dynasty or just maybe the time of Ramesses III (I think most date her to the time of Ramesses IX ?)
In this picture the area of her head is sadly rather damaged, but I'm pretty sure that she's depicted wearing a short nubian wig (painted blue) with a large ribbon (painted red) streaming down her back.
It's a peculiar scene. she's shown offering two cobras to gods(?) One of the cobras wears the red crown, and the other wears the white crown.
I wondered about the possibility that tyti is wearing a khat headdress, but the back of the head is visible, and I really think it's a Nubian wig.

The tyti scene comes from:
http://www.bonechi.it/eng/scheda.asp?idpubblicazione=262

The Abu Simbel descriptions come from this booklet:
http://www.bonechi.it/eng/scheda.asp?idpubblicazione=2
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my word anneke, its like you've read my dissertation lmao
i was corresponding with Prof. Ertman about the KMT jounral because he said the Nefertiti smiting scene was so rare, so i just had to ask him about the Nefertari scenes. He was quite pleased that I'd brought the subject up and we had a few good emails and theories bashing about!
I have the foil piece with Ankhsenamun and it is similar (especially when you turn it so they are both in the same direction) I found it interesting that Ay is on the Ankhsenamun foil depciation...what with the possible Nefertari heritage link etc.

I found this picture in "Fragments of a shattered visage" and while we're on the subject of the Nubian wig I thought I'd ask you all something. I know how damaged this scene is and its hard to make out, I've tried to darken the image and it looks like Merytamun who is standing behind rameses is also wearing the Nubian wig? along with the tall plumes just like bintanath and Nefertari have been depicted. Its at the temple of abu simbel once again and im so happy i found it, because this book has to go back to the library tomorrow. I hadnt seen merytamun with a nubian wig. Do you think i'm correct in assuming she is wearing it?...i know how hard it is to tell but i can see a rounded shape...

]
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is any better, i tried to fiddle with the image to make it as clear as possible Smile
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3182/merytamunnubianwig25dd.jpg
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Nubian wig to me as well.
Is there any particular meaning when the person raises thier right hand like that? It's almost exactly the same pose that Nefertari has in the smiting scene. Is it a gesture of support?

Where in Abu Simbel is this? Is this the scene on the stela from the Viceroy?
EDIT: never mind Smile I saw the answer in the other thread. It is this stela.
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well apparently when i was talkin to Prof. Ertman, he said that the gesture of the hand raised was like protection (but that may be because the scene we were referring to, Nefertiti was acting as a goddess...thats the smiting scene by the way) but with this cene i'm not sure if its adoration, protection or like you said support.
Idea hmmm...any one else got any ideas?
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shieldsaroundtheworld.com/origs/P0002563.jpg

Nefertari coronation scene
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://edoc3.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/books/2003/lepsius/page/abt3/band7/image/03071890.jpg

right guys, we've seen this image before, but I've done some comparisons between amarna and ramesside wigs and its seems to indicate (from an amarna perpective) that this wig was acquired when the princess reched a certain mature age.
What i'm interested in, is whether anyone knows when this scene of nefertari was supposed to have taken place? was it early on in ram's reign?? that would make nefertari quite young and which may be a reason as to why she's wearing it?

just a possible theory Smile

so yeh any idea what this scene is (some sort of procession/ceremony) but what was the year?? Idea
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered too if this was e depiction of a youthful Nefertari.
But the temple was supposedly constructed between years 5 and 35, and by year 1 Nefertari was already depicted with the tripartite wig and vulture headdress (tomb of Nebwenenef).

I had wondered if this could actually be her daughter Nefertari II? I have no proof for this, but it would be more fitting with the short wig - braid combo.
The name is the full Nefertari-Meytmut, so that does point to the mother.
I always wondered how many more of the royal daughters made it to Queen status, but we just don't know about them because they could have died too young to have left any mention on the monuments.
Rammesside_Queens
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a very good point...gah why couldnt they leave a little date mark for me...it'd make it much more simple Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: