Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women in ancient Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Women in ancient Egypt Reply with quote

I'm going to write a fictional story soon but I like to back up my fiction with facts. I need to know how women were treated in ancient Egypt. Were they repressed and treated unequally? I know that queens and noble women must have had some rights, but what about commoners/peasant women? And were women literate?
I know that many ancient cultures didn't treat their women as equally as men, but I've seen some places say that Egyptian women had more rights than women of the present day! I'm not sure I believe claims like this which is why I'm asking you lot to help.
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to be writing an egyptian thing myself, so I may take note of some of the info you get. Here is what I know:

Arrow They had the right to divorce
Arrow Owned 1/3 of marital property.
Arrow They could make contracts, business deals and other political arrangements.
Arrow They had a lot more rights than most women in the surrounding time periods.

If I remember more, I will post.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty amazing...shows that women's rights then were almost like todays! It's quite something to see that a society could be like that in ancient times-but were they as liberal as, say, today's women in developed countries such as the UK or the US?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website may be of interest:
http://www.umich.edu/~kelseydb/Exhibits/WomenandGender/title.html
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an essay:
http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/women_in_ancient_egypt.htm

Didn't gay Robins write a book about women in Ancient Egypt?
I hope I spelled her name right, but Dr. Robins is a noted Egyptologist and I have seen her as one of the "talking heads" on documentaries.
I have also seen other Egyptologists refer to her book.

I have to admit that I haven't read it myself. I think it does talk about the role of women in their society. I think Joyce Tyldesley has also written a book about women in AE. The book is Isis and ... *something* I think - can't remember the details.
Anyone else read either of these books by any chance?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've heard of that Isis book. My mum was going to get it for my until she read and changed her mind-because it apparently contains very graphic, even lewd, depictions of sex... Wink although I think that's unlikely but even so, I'm old enough to tolerate that!!! Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question-were women forced into marriages with people (like arranged marriages) or did they marry at will with the man they loved?

I must read those articles...
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arranged marriages were frequent enough among the royals, out of need for alliances with foreign or intern forces. Why would it be different for 'lower', in essence poorer people? I would like to point to the situation of arranged marriages in India (nowadays, but quite like we had em in the Middle Ages) where the 'bridal treasures' (correct translation from Dutch?) are the main part of a family's income.

Studying the past can teach us about the future, but it's the same the opposite way. Our present can teach us things from the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: