Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Geographic DNA Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
They either send me a new kit for some fresh samples or put me on their special web page for freaks.

Hey, how cool would it be if it's the latter option?! Okay, I'm only joking, I really do hope that they give you another shot at it...maybe you wasn't vigarous enough with the cheek scraper? You're supposed to do it until your face is pouring with blood, you know? Didn't you read the small print? Razz

kmt_sesh wrote:
Wait, I hope I didn't goof up and accidentally swab Tutty Bear's cheeks. Might that explain it?

Yeah, you probably did do Tutty's cheek instead (well, him or your little llama buddy Wink ), was you trying to find out if Tutty really did originate in Egypt, or something?

kmt_sesh wrote:
All right, you got me. My own "people" did. We come from the fourth moon of a gas giant in a distant galaxy. We're a small but resourceful and fuzzy race, and we taught the Egyptians how to build pyramids.

And here was me thinking that you'd probably just say that you built the pyramids all by yourself! Laughing By the way, your 'race' are a very creepy looking bunch. I swear that picture scared the life out of me!

quietly wrote:
how doess it work!?

This link explains how all the project works, but Kmt_sesh did a much better job at explaining it all earlier in this thread. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
quietly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thankss...alot of scientific mumbo jumbo i didn't quite understand...but i got the jist Very Happy

but why does it only go as recent as 30,000 years?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking about the NG DNA project, quietly, that's discussed earlier in this thread. It's an interesting project they've got going...a bit expensive, but worthwhile.

Well, it will be ridiculously expensive if they fail to get a DNA sample from the vials I sent them! I didn't pay them to learn I have no DNA. Evil or Very Mad

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Yipee! The results are in! Applause

Well, that was a quick turnaround, considering just several days ago they said my first test produced no results and that it would require at least ten more days.

Here is the map showing the route my genetic ancestors took from the point of "ancestral Adam," some 60,000 years ago:

So, what does it all mean? Hell if I know. I have a lot of reading to do before I understand more of what's going on here. It really is exciting, though. The above image is a non-animated, boiled-down version of what's provided. The Flash map on my NG web page has points along the route that I can click to learn more about my ancestry.

I just wanted to drop in and share my happy news. More to follow...after I finish reading, and reading, and reading.

Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh,

It means that you have the mitochondrial haplogroup M170, shared by Western Slavs (Yugoslavs and some Poles), some Germans and Sardinians, theoretically descending from the Vends or Venedi mentioned by Tacitus, Pliny and Ptolemy. Did any of your ancestors come from any of these regions?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt-sesh,

My daughter has ordered last saterday also a DNA Kit. Yesterday we received an a-mail that the test was on his way to Belgium.

Rozette
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Yipee! The results are in!

pharaohthumb Well, I'm glad they were finally able to find some of your DNA to work with. So, your ancestors travelled through Europe, then? (You're the red part, right? Laughing ) Anyway, I can't wait to hear what you find out, so get reading, already!! Twisted Evil

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: National Geographic DNA Project Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
The test is somewhat expensive ($107.50 US), so be warned if you're interested. The results take around eight weeks to arrive, and then you can become part of the NG project. Check the link I provided above for more information.

Cool! I want to try this I know my cousin is interested in this kind of stuff.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Quote:
It means that you have the mitochondrial haplogroup M170, shared by Western Slavs...

Actually I didn't go with the mitochondrial test, though it is an option for those who join the program. I went with the test based on the Y-chromosome, and the results revealed that I belong to haplogroup I. The M170 identification is only the ending of the journey and personally I'm more interested in the beginning and all of that travelling my ancestors apparently did through the Sinai. This from a person who ended up very fair skinned and is susceptible to heat exhaustion whenever the sun peeks out from behind a cloud. Razz

Rozette wrote:
Quote:
My daughter has ordered last saterday also a DNA Kit. Yesterday we received an a-mail that the test was on his way to Belgium.

It's an exciting process, Rozette. And it's quite a treat to see that your results are in. There's a lot of reading to do if you really want to understand what it all means, so I have some studying to do.

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm glad they were finally able to find some of your DNA to work with. So, your ancestors travelled through Europe, then?

Yep, my ancestors travelled through Europe and didn't even send me a mug or T-shirt or cheap bottle of wine. Damn ancestors! I knew my line would end up in Europe (that much was obvious even before I joined the project), but as I mentioned to Robson I'm personally more interested in the beginning of the ancient journey and how my own ancestors left Africa.

Visit my blog!
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
as I mentioned to Robson I'm personally more interested in the beginning of the ancient journey and how my own ancestors left Africa.

Your people possibly crossed the Bab el Mandeb, which once used to be an isthmus:

and should be folks looking like these Oromo folks:
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was digging a little deeper and trying to save information to files I can store on my harddrive. Here's a chart that shows the analysis of my DNA:

This genetic information and its markers enabled the scientists to determine the haplogroup to which I belong based on my own Y-chromosome.

The map you see on your computer screen is a little fancier and looks like this (as compared to the high-res map you can print out, which I posted earlier):

You can click on each section of the red and blue lines to learn about those segments of the ancestral travels, and each of the little orange dots also can be clicked; these provide additional general information under headings like Great Leap Forward, Modern Language Distribution, Domestication of Animals, and Megafauna in Europe.

More later... Smile

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kmt_sesh,

Great news, the results are in Razz !

Today haplogroup H comprises 40 to 60 percent of the gene pool of most European populations. In Rome and Athens, for example, the frequency of H is around 40 percent of the entire population, and it exhibits similar frequencies throughout western Europe. Moving eastward the frequencies of H gradually decreases, clearly illustrating the migratory path these settlers followed as they left the Iberian Peninsula after the ice sheets had receded. Haplogroup H is found at around 25 percent in Turkey and around 20 percent in the Caucasus Mountains.

While haplogroup H is considered the Western European lineage due to its high frequency there, it is also found much further east. Today it comprises around 20 percent of southwest Asian lineages, about 15 percent of people living in Central Asia, and around five percent in northern Asia.

Importantly, the age of haplogroup H lineages differs quite substantially between those seen in the West compared with those found in the East. In Europe its age is estimated at 10,000 to 15,000 years old, and while H made it into Europe substantially earlier (30,000 years ago), reduced population sizes resulting from the glacial maximum significantly reduced its diversity there, and thus its estimated age. In Central and East Asia, however, its age is estimated at around 30,000 years old, meaning your lineage made it into those areas during some of the earlier migrations out of the Near East.

Haplogroup H is a great example of the effect that population dynamics such as bottleneck events, founder effect, genetic drift, and rapid population growth, have on the genetic diversity of resulting populations.

Rozette & Kirsten
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the results, Rozette. Very interesting indeed. At the Field in the docents' lounge we have everyone's map on the wall for display, and I was there today but completely forgot to check if any of them were Haplogroup H. I meant to do that. We have quite a nice mix of haplogroups among us docents.

It was pretty exciting to see the results, wasn't it? The NG has a very nice web page put together for each of us to explore. Did you print out your official certificate, suitable for framing? Razz

This was for your daughter, right? Did she sign up for the Family Tree program? I did that but should've thought better of it. I've gotten tons of matches e-mailed to me, but I'm adopted so it doesn't do anyone much good. I don't know what I was thinking.

I completely forgot to post the results of my own analysis. For the sake of convenience here, again, is my genome map. I am Haplogroup I. Rozette's daughter took the mitochondrial test while I took the Y-chromosome test, which means my analysis strictly reflects my male line of ancient descent. The information I present below has been paraphrased from my own NG genome web page.

M168 on my map represents my earliest ancestor. The M168 genetic marker first emerged about 50,000 years ago in a single man who probably lived in northeast Africa, in the Rift Valley (perhaps in Ethiopia, Kenya, or Tanzania). This man's descendants became the only lineage to survive outside of Africa, making him the common ancestor of every non-African man living today. I find that interesting.

M89 represents the next male ancestor in my lineage, whose genetic marker is found in 90 to 95 percent of all non-Africans. LOL I always thought I was nothing special. This man was born about 45,000 years ago in northern Africa or the Middle East. This man and his kin followed the expanding grasslands and plentiful game when leaving Africa and arriving in the Middle East and beyond, and were part of the second great wave of migration out of Africa.

M170 represents a third male ancestor in my lineage, who belonged to a Middle Eastern clan which migrated northwest into the Balkans and eventually throughout central Europe. This first occurred around 20,000 years ago. This lineage may have been responsible for the thriving Gravettian culture that spread throughout northern Europe from about 21,000 to 28,000 years ago. The term "Gravettian" might not mean a lot to many of you (it didn't to me at first, either), but most would recognize the carvings of the big-bellied females that were produced by these people in ancient Europe.

That's adequate for a summary, I should think. Of course the web page presents a hell of a lot more information than this, but much of it would be of minimal interest to most people and I'm long-winded enough as it is. Anxious

I really like that Rozette shared her daughter's results with us here in this thread I started. If there are any other genome participants lurking at ED, I invite you to share your own results. If you're not part of the NG genome project, what are you waiting for?

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kmt_sesh,

Off course I have printed the offical certificate... I've made a whole book out of it Laughing

I did sign up for the Family Tree program, and i'm participating in the mtDNA haplogroup H project & the Benelux mtDNA project.

I was quite a shock though, being haplogroup H. I searched the web on haplogroup H information and to my surprise many great kings & queens like queen Victoria and Marie-Antoinette of France also have haplogroup H. Exciting family tree I have Wink

Kirsten Smile
Gypsy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do this! Amazing! Surprised I hope I can get the money!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: