Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why no excavation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must've been frustrating...yet ever so entertaining. Razz I'm still surprised that they had so much difficulty accepting the wigs; like you said, it's very basic.

I think I mentioned to you that I used to be active with the Yahoo message boards, like these, but I don't think they're the same as the mailing lists you're describing. I'm not even sure what internet mailing lists are about. This was a long time before I found Egyptian Dreams and there didn't seem to be any message boards for ancient Egypt. I tried to start up a couple but there was never enough interest, so I got involved in discussions about stuff like politics and science but my heart was never in it. Do you have a link to these mailing lists, or does it not work that way?

Quote:
He posed as a physics professor until we outed him as a night instructor at a community college! He also said he was an author of a book on Egypt, and it turned out to be vanity press.

Laughing How embarrassing for him. Too bad. I've had pretty good experiences with people on internet forums, for the most part. There are people with whom I've engaged in heated (and sometimes unfriendly) debate, but to date I don't think I've met anyone who's tried to claim to be something he or she is not. At least not like this "physics professor" did.

Quote:
Like the snow? I didn't.

I didn't, either. I grew up in northern Minnesota, so I've had enough of winter for one lifetime. I'd be happy to live the rest of my life without ever seeing another snowflake again! Mad

Stay warm, bastetmax. Sounds like it's going to be positively balmy in the Windy City by this Sunday.

Visit my blog!
bastetmax
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even remember the names of the forums I was in, so I can't exactly give you the URLs. They do have invitations they can send out. I think I replied to a few of those. You start getting known if you participate in one Egyptian mailing list or the other. I'm starting to wish for anonymity, frankly.
Try the search box at groups.yahoo.com. Put in "Ancient Egypt" and see what you get.

You don't know about mailing lists? They are really old, maybe older than message boards. You just keep e-mail conversations going. You can get them in digest form, or just read them on the Web if you don't want your e-mail In box to fill up. I've been on a zillion mailing lists and own three myself (although they have nothing to do with Egypt).

The snow can melt away any time it likes. I grew up here and like you I have had enough winter for many lifetimes. It made the return from Egypt really depressing, I have to tell you. At least this junk is going to melt.

Lynn
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't even remember the names of the forums I was in, so I can't exactly give you the URLs.

I think I may have found some of them, on this page. There's Thoth-scribe, which looks pretty conservative, and there's Ta_Seti, which has a stated Afrocentric bent. I think The Forum of Amun is another one. My fellow Moderator, anneke, showed me this one a long time ago but I'd forgotten about it. I've never posted at any of these sites but they seem to be mostly based on e-mail communication.

Quote:
You don't know about mailing lists? They are really old, maybe older than message boards.

LOL Nope, I'm not familiar with them. I haven't been around the internet as long as many people here have. I'm a graphic designer by profession and so I work with computers, but kids these days...gees, don't get me started (the average eight year old could probably give me an education on computers).

Quote:
It made the return from Egypt really depressing, I have to tell you.

Well, you know, there's only one cure for that--go back to Egypt! And take me with you. I'll carry your bags. Razz

Visit my blog!
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sphinx < Shesep-ankh ?

Shesep = noble
ankh = life
bastetmax
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never made it to those Yahoo groups, but I just signed on to Thoth Scribe, so we'll see how that one goes.

Lynn
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amun--
Taken from touregypt:
Alan Gardiner suggested that the Egyptian phrase, shesep ankh Atum, meaning "Living Image of Atum"
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn wrote:

Quote:
Never made it to those Yahoo groups, but I just signed on to Thoth Scribe, so we'll see how that one goes.

I'll see you there, then- I am one of the mods at Thoth-Scribe, which isn't as conservative as all that. Amun is another really good ml; I belong to that as well, and the EEF list too.

-kat newkirk
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amun wrote:
Quote:
Sphinx < Shesep-ankh ?

Shesep = noble
ankh = life

Where'd you get this information, Amun? I'm curious to know. Wink

I have to wonder if the word for "sphinx" (Sspw or Ssp) is really the same as the word for "noble" (Spsy) or "noble thing" (Sps). They sound kind of alike but that's not conclusive.

kat wrote:
Quote:
I'll see you there, then- I am one of the mods at Thoth-Scribe, which isn't as conservative as all that. Amun is another really good ml; I belong to that as well, and the EEF list too.

I discontinued my membership with the EEF list a long time ago. Of all the many, many e-mails I got, the subjects being discussed rarely interested me. But are you saying Thoth-Scribe is a bit fringey or "out there"? I don't know anything about it. I'm becoming more tempted to try out the Forum of Amun.

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seshie wrote:

Quote:
I discontinued my membership with the EEF list a long time ago. Of all the many, many e-mails I got, the subjects being discussed rarely interested me. But are you saying Thoth-Scribe is a bit fringey or "out there"? I don't know anything about it. I'm becoming more tempted to try out the Forum of Amun.

Not exactly fringey, but last summer we had a guy who led a lenghthy discussion on the use of mushrooms in AE. I finally shut it down after he kept re-hashing the same points, offering nothing new. There are a lot of ppl there who like pyramids, as well. I'm kind of acerbic there; I don't have a lot of patience with fringey stuff.

You might consider re-joining EEF but get either a daily or weekly digest- that way you won't have tons of emails, and on Thursday, the mod puts out a newsletter with all current museum exhibitions, lectures offered, as well as news from excavations, the URLs for journal aricles online, books online, PhD papers online etc. The EEF News is only for list members, and worth the price of admission.

Amun is almost as professional as EEF, a very goood thing.

And the mods at EEF and Amun are super ppl that I learn a lot from.
Amun
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

"The word “sphinx” comes from the Greek Σφιγξ — Sphinx, apparently from the verb σφιγγω — sphingo, meaning “to strangle,” as the sphinx from Greek mythology strangled anyone incapable of answering her riddle. A few, however, have postulated it to be a corruption of the ancient Egyptian Shesep-ankh, a name applied to royal statues in the Fourth Dynasty, though it came to be more specifically associated with the Great Sphinx in the New Kingdom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sphinx_of_Giza

__________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, I wrote it wrong yesterday:

NOT Shesep,

"Shepses " means "noble"

King Shepseskaf (son of King Mycerinus/Menkaure)

= "His soul is Noble "

< Shepses = "noble"
ka = "soul"
f = "his"
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat wrote:
Quote:
You might consider re-joining EEF but get either a daily or weekly digest- that way you won't have tons of emails, and on Thursday, the mod puts out a newsletter with all current museum exhibitions, lectures offered, as well as news from excavations, the URLs for journal aricles online, books online, PhD papers online etc

Okay, you talked me into it. I resubscribed to EEF and I hope I can figure out how to take advantage of those features you mentioned. I can't figure out how to arrange it now but maybe I have to wait to be accepted. I should've learned more about this stuff the first time I was on their list.

Thanks, kat. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seshie Wrote:

Quote:
I can't figure out how to arrange it now but maybe I have to wait to be accepted. I should've learned more about this stuff the first time I was on their list.

The easiest way is to send a note to the moderator asking for either the daily or weekly digest. The EEF News always comes out on Thursday afternoon or early evening, the weekly digest comes on Sunday afternoons. Aayko Ayma, the mod, has this down to an exact science. Very Happy

Even so, there is a limit to ten emails on any given day so if you stay with individual emails you won't be too overwhelmed, and many days there are less than that.

You know, you can always post there the things you post here, like reports of lectures you've been lucky enough to hear- I know I directed one of their members to your report here on Dr. Schaden's last lecture, and I'm pretty sure other ppl would like to read your reports as well.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I'm back on the EEF mailing list and have been getting e-mails daily. So far none of them have interested me. Sad LOL Maybe I'm too fussy.

I got the latest EEF News but how do the digests work? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by daily or weekly. I just wish I had better control over the e-mails I receive because I'd rather not be getting ten a day if none of them appeal to me. I know, I'm too persnickety. Razz

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmt_Sesh wrote:

Quote:
I got the latest EEF News but how do the digests work?

The Daily Digest is just that- 1 email message, with all the day's traffic in it, sorted by subject headings. The Weekly Digest is a week's worth of posts, sorted by subject headings. These omit the headers on individual emails, but retain the poster's signature and email addy.

To change from individual emails to a digest, write the moderator, who takes care of such things.

The EEF published an occasional volume a few years ago, _A Delta Man in Yebu_, available as either a downloadable book for approx. $10.00 or a hard copy for $29. I think you might be interested in that, too, and the downloadable version is somewhat searchable, plus has color artwork not usually seen in festscrifts because of the cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: