Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby depicted in mourning scene for Meketaten
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard. wrote:
We are not sure this was a sarcophagus, a canopy box has been mentioned as an alternative. (G.Martin in the Royal Tomb II ?)

That would make much more sense. A sarcophagus of a meter would be barely large enough to hold a toddler.

From what I have read the ages of the Amarna princesses have long been a source of some debate. Depending on at what age we would asssume a child to be depicted in royal scenes one can come up with a range of ages.

But I have personally always thought they would be somewhat older. Meritaten was already depicted in Karnak and shown behind her mother. I don't think they would show a baby as participating in rites. Given child mortality it seems risky to give too much relevance to any young child if you don't know if they will be around. But that's just my personal opinion.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I have read before that the scenes were in a good state when the epigraphic teams studied them in 1894 (hope I get the year right).
The expedition was in 1893-4 and the book was published in 1903 because of Bouriant death. The two images posted above are from that book. (one can buy it on www.yare.com) The room which has been damaged for sure is room Gamma.

In room alpha, the two deaths are minor events related on wall F. This is a wall one can see only when leaving the room. In fact it is so different of walls A to E that I wonder if this is not an after thought. In any case I believe the two persons were not buried there and died months or years before Meketaten. IMO they are Kiya and Baketaten, the child being Tut, but I have nothing at all to prove it. That Baketaten died young, I guess it from Huya's tomb where the sculptor Auta is seen at work on a statue of Baketaten. This statue looks like the one of Maketeten in room Gamma.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Given child mortality it seems risky to give too much relevance to any young child if you don't know if they will be around. But that's just my personal opinion.
This is also my opinion and I will add that before the age of three they barely understand what we expect from them. From what I know, egyptian children were suckled until three.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: