Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertiti's eyes - an article in Archaeology
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:

I can't imagine where those measurements could come from! (maybe the Baggy Look was "in" in ancient Egypt!)

Laughing Like today's teenagers? Underwear hiked up to the armpits and pants falling off their butt?

Never thought about it but he was a "terrible teen" wasn't he?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
.... when I posted that "plenty of people in Africa also bear this trait." <snip> For all I know the information is correct, but I'd be more comfortable with some corroboration. Laughing

I looked around and found several (rather old) articles describing people in africa with this epicanthic fold. It seems the trait does exist among people from the area of modern Sudan and some western regions of Africa.

It apparently also occurs sporadically among other population groups in Africa.

I got the information from JSTOR which gives access to scholarly articles. There are some references to the bushmen of the Kalahari and the hottentots. But I think it goes just a tad too far to suggest Nefertiti came from a family of Kalahari bushmen Very Happy

(ref: Bushmen of the Kalahari, by Phillip V. Tobias; Man 1957)
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the whole thoracic-abdominal cavity but some of the clothing in Tut's tomb does appear to me to have been designed to help...um...support his groin for riding chariots or horses. Something like this loincloth (Carter's #0403) was clearly meant to be tied to the hips quite snugly. You can review more linen garments on this page.

I would agree with you folks that a piece of clothing is dubious for determining one's exact measurements. Some Egyptian garments were very snug and others were very loose; many were anywhere in between. I agree with Osiris II's assessment of the CT scans performed on the mummy of the boy-king. The findings were for a normal young male of healthy status; the head is a bit unusual in shape but still within normal parameters.

anneke wrote:
Quote:
Laughing Like today's teenagers? Underwear hiked up to the armpits and pants falling off their butt?

Oh man, I see that all the time with boys in Chicago. My, how fashions change! I know that if I had dressed like that when I were fourteen or fifteen, I probably would've gotten beaten up every day at school. Razz

Quote:
But I think it goes just a tad too far to suggest Nefertiti came from a family of Kalahari bushmen Very Happy

Thanks for that heads-up, anneke. So it is true that this trait exists within certain groups in Africa but you're right, it's quite the stretch to apply this to Nefertiti. I'm going to have to be more careful with the EEF submissions I quote. Rolling Eyes

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Thanks for that heads-up, anneke. So it is true that this trait exists within certain groups in Africa but you're right, it's quite the stretch to apply this to Nefertiti.

I think it's also present among some population groups in the Sudan (Nubia) and it seems it also sporadically shows up among other population groups in Africa.

Bottom line seems to be that even though it's an interesting observation, it may be close to impossible to ever prove it?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bottom line seems to be that even though it's an interesting observation, it may be close to impossible to ever prove it?

Without a mummy that can be definitively identified as Nefertiti's, I'd say it's quite impossible to prove. And even with a mummy, the state of preservation would have to be pretty amazing.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: