Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The God Apedemak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: The God Apedemak Reply with quote

I recently did this painting of a Meroitic royal family worshipping the god Apedemak.

It's after a line drawing by Lepsius. This scene comes from a temple in Naqa (Naga?).
I thought it was interesting to see how the Nubians had created their own version of the Egyptian clothing.
They have a type of cloak and their jewelry is very much in the Nubian style.

The Queen's headdress is also uniquely Nubian in style I think.

I also thought it was interesting that the royal prince seems to wear a diadem with a lion head instead of the suspected uraeus.

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up some info and it seems that the King and Queen are King Natakamani and Queen Amanitore.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward for your incursion into the Meroitic civilization, Anneke Wink
I also like much this depiction where Apedemak appears as a Hindu-like deity:

kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:

Quote:
I also like much this depiction where Apedemak appears as a Hindu-like deity

It's thought that this was the way the ancient artist chose to show movement- kind of like superimposing a set of still photos one atop the other. Apedemak is looking to one side, then straight ahead, then looking to the other side.
KENNDO
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The God Apedemak Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I recently did this painting of a Meroitic royal family worshipping the god Apedemak.

It's after a line drawing by Lepsius. This scene comes from a temple in Naqa (Naga?).
I thought it was interesting to see how the Nubians had created their own version of the Egyptian clothing.
They have a type of cloak and their jewelry is very much in the Nubian style.

The Queen's headdress is also uniquely Nubian in style I think.

I also thought it was interesting that the royal prince seems to wear a diadem with a lion head instead of the suspected uraeus.

or i would say nubian clothing influence by egypt. Very Happy
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lion Temple at Naga

Derek Welsby. Sudan: Ancient Treasures (2004), page 174-175:

The Lion Temple at Naga (first century AD) provides us with at least five different appearances of Apedemak. On the southern outside wall he is represented as a male human figure with a lion head. In several instances he takes the animal shape of a lion. On the side walls of the pylon he is a snake with a lion head, and human arms and hands, emerging from a lotus flower (below).

The rear wall of the temple shows Apedemak as a male figure with four arms and three lion heads.

On the inner walls of the temple he is shown in a Hellenistic style - a draped make figure with a face in front view with full beard, similar to the iconography of Zeus or Serapis.

Three levels of artistic tradition can be distinguished: the human figure with the lion head follows the typically Egyptian prototype of divine iconography: the bearded frontal face show the influence of Hellenistic and Roman art; and the snake with the lion head is an independent, autonomous creation of Meroitic art.

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scenes still look great. Is any remnant of paint left?
I'm assuming the Nubians also painted their temples?
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The scenes still look great. Is any remnant of paint left?
I'm assuming the Nubians also painted their temples?

I could not fine any colors on the Naga's structures, but it does say that the bark stand survived undamaged in its original position in the sanctuary of the Temple of Amun at Naga.

Bark stand

Sandstone
Naga, Temple of Amun, sanctuary, excavation 104/1
Kushite (Meroitic), first century AD, reign of King Natakamani and Queen Amanitore

Left picture: The front side shows the falcon-headed Horus (left) and the ibis-headed Thoth (right) binding two plants, the papyrus and the lotus, around the central hieroglyphic emblem 'sema' (union). The papyrus represents Lower Egypt and the lotus represents Upper Egypt. Above this sign two cartouches are placed, crowned by a sun disc and double ostrich feather. The left (northern) cartouche contains the name of King Natakamani, while the right (southern) one the name of Queen Amanitore. Both are written in Meroitic hieroglyphs.

Right picture: Below, two Nile gods are binding two plants, the papyrus and the lotus, around the central hieroglyphic emblem 'sema", with the queen's second Egyptian name Merikara on the south, and the kings's second Egyptian name Kheperkara on the north.

The unification of Upper and Lower Egypt, symbolized by the sema motif, is the emblematic sign of political and cosmic order under the control of Kushite kingship.

Naga, Temple of Amun, Hypostyle, excavation no. 101/19

(left) Goddess Amesemi (right) Amanishaketo

The inscriptions in Meroitic hieroglyphs indentify the left figure as Amesemi, the divine consort of the lion god Apedemak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: