Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listen to Tutankhamun's Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Listen to Tutankhamun's Trumpet Reply with quote

Trumpet of Tutankhamun

Tutankhamun's military trumpet is one of three known examples of this instrument preserved from ancient Egypt. It was fashioned from metal sheets covered with gold. The mouthpiece is in the shape of a cylindrical sleeve with a silver ring at the outer end, fixed to a tube. On the outside of the bell is a panel depicting the king wearing the Blue Crown and holding the crook scepter "Heka". He stands before a shrine containing the figure of the god Ptah in the form of a mummy. The inscription reads, "The Great One, Ptah, south-of-his-wall, Lord of Truth, Creator of all that the king receives, Life from Amun-Re, King of all Gods. He who rests his other hand on the king's shoulders, behind the falcon-headed god, Re-Horakhty, the good god, Lord of Gold". All the figures are shown standing under the hieroglyphic sign for heaven and the baseline symbolizes the earth.

Listen to Tutankhamun's Trumpet

The recording of the sound of the trumpet was made in 1939 in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo for BBC radio. The recording is so unique because since their discovery the trumpets have only been played on very few occasions. Considering their fragile state of preservation, it is very unlikely that any more attempts will ever be made again.

"Owing to its fragility, the original silver trumpet has been played only twice, in the spring of 1939, when a modern mouthpiece was inserted. At the first attempt, the trumpet was shattered but it was restored immediately and survived the eventual broadcast. (From: L. Manniche, Musical Instuments from the Tomb of Tutankhamun, Oxford 1976, pp. 7-13).

You can hear part of the recording and find out more about the trumpets by downloading this small, very easy to install programme.

Click to download The Trumpet of Tutankhamun

Smile

Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Seems like you got here first! Reply with quote

What a beautiful instrument... truly... Long ago, maybe it was another life.... I was a 19 year old music major. Emphasis on vocal performance.... I was actually going to try to find some information on egyptian music tonight and then organize a whole bunch of questions... To find out what is known and what isn't. The oracle of Delphi, for example has some odd form of music notation carved into the rocks.... One thing i am interested in is, we have a people that had not 1 but over a period of time 3 forms of written language. They had numbers.... What about musical notation? Can their music notation (if there is any) be translated.... I would like to try to play some on my various instruments. What other intruments did they have? I have heard tell of some sort of harp. My primary instrument after voice, was harp, though i play with varying degrees of competence about 4 instrument and a couple more i just kind of fiddle with but i wouldn't say i play them. What more is known about the music of Egypt and or Nubia? Where can i get some? if any still or ever exists/ed. What sort of a roll did it play in society? was there secular music or was it relaly the domain of only the temples? It seems various cults incorporated song of some sort.... Awesome post! Maybe my favorite to date.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same thing in this thread. The DVD that I own that has tracks of these trumpets being played is really beautiful. Really worth the cash, in my opinion. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly i downloaded this like 2 days ago Smile

Photos And Information about Egyptian objects in Australia

Pompeii news and photos
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Smile
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: