Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

attaching/splicing papyrus sheets together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: attaching/splicing papyrus sheets together Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good way to attach together two sheets of papyrus along an edge to form a larger piece? I've got some papyrus on order and I'd like to join the pieces together to make a "scroll" and then paint it. I've read that the Egyptians may have used starch adhesive (link) but I'm not sure how this could be done to make the edges seamless, plus in this day and age there's probably a better way Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried this. The only thing I could find on the web is the following:
http://members.tripod.com/~papyri/texts/papyrus.html

The author talks about gluing the sheets togetherwith a flour paste?

Another possibility may be to write/paint on the separate sheets of papyrus, but somehow mount them on the wall in a somewhat continuous display?
There are some nice frames where you just put the artwork between two sheets of glass and mount that on the wall.
apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Another possibility may be to write/paint on the separate sheets of papyrus, but somehow mount them on the wall in a somewhat continuous display?

My backup plan was to do this, although I've read several places that it's not good for papyrus to be in contact with the glass it's behind because it could damage both the papyrus and the paint if the piece were ever to be removed (matting is suggested as a way to add some spacing between the glass & work).

I think if done carefully it could appear seamless, although I liked the idea of having a longer roll to paint Smile Not sure how to make flour-paste either! Idea
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get papyrus in long sheets. I obtained sheets which were around 2 metres in length which were then used in the film Alexander. They are expensive though as they take longer to make (the papyrus strips used have to be longer) and it is now hard to find a decent supplier. Unfortunately I fell out with my previous supplier so I can't get them at the moment. It might be worth googling and seeing if there is anyone who supplies longer sheets, rather than messing about with a starch adhesive which will potentially rot anyway.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how long you want the papyrus to be, Apophis, but the largest I was able to find is 28" X 40" [70 X 100 cm], here, on eBay.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find one supplier that offers a papyrus roll (made up of individual sheets glued together at the edges) but it wasn't quite wide enough for what I wanted to do, though certainly long enough at over 35', plus it wasn't clear how the gluing was done. So I think I'll just paint the individual sheets and try to mount them together in a seamless way. I guess you could say that since Budge sliced up the original, it'll make mine all the more authentic Wink The ebay link you gave is where I ended up ordering mine from, btw, in the 17x24 size Very Happy

Thanks,
Apophis
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: How Papyrus Paper Is Made Reply with quote

How Papyrus Paper Is Made

This is the first time I seen this done. Sorry if it was posted somewhere else.

A demonstration on how papyrus goes from being a plant to paper.

Video Demonstration

apophis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really cool, thanks for posting it! I've been wanting to try this and even planted some papyrus seeds last year but I never got them to germinate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: