Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Tomb of Nefertari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: The Tomb of Nefertari Reply with quote

The 1904 discovery of Queen Nefertari's tomb revealed to the world the exquisite beauty of its magnificent paintings. John McDonald explains the meaning of the myths and funeral rites.

Just a couple of things I wanted to share.

Reference:

McDonald, John K. The Tomb of Nefertari: House of Eternity, The American University in Cairo Press, pp. 80-81 (1996)

The Tomb of Nefertari

The south and part of the west walls of Chamber G. The seven cows and the bull are addressing Nefertari on the adjacent wall.

Description:

The scene occupies the entire south wall and, for lack of space, continues onto the southern portion of the west wall. It is an evocation of Chapter 148 of the Book of the Dead. Beneath a sky sign and framed by was scepters at the end are four cows in the upper register, three cows and one bull in the middle. In front of each is a small altar with offerings of vegetables, milk, and bread.

The animals are meant to address Nefertari, who has been placed on the adjoining wall for lack of space. Each cow is distinguished by its hide and a particular legend above. The text of Chapter 148 reveals that these seven cows have the power to provide the spirit of the dead queen with the necessities we see displayed: milk, bread, and vegetables.

In the same spell, there are references to steering oars that help the deceased maneuver among the stars. With Re serving as the queen's helmsman and the oars guiding her pilgrimage, none of Nefertari's enemies will know or even recognize her, so the text promises. Each oar is named and linked with a compass direction.

The cow and oar images exist for the benefit of Nefertari who has been relegated to the adjacent wall, where she stands with arms raised in adoration. No words are actually ascribed to the queen; but presumably she utters the invocation that is an integral part of Chapter 148, a request that the cows provide her sustenance.

Like an enormous punctuation mark, a broad, raised band of relief severs the previous scene from the one immediately south of the doorway. This is a curious but theologically important grouping of a ram-headed mummiform figure standing on a small plinth.

Between the ram's horns is a solar disk. The figure wears a broad collar and red sash. Ministering to him are Nephthys, to the left, and Isis, to the right. Each wears a bag wig (afnet) with long queue, kept in place by a red fillet, and a tight, red sheath dress. The dresses are held in place with shoulder straps that expose the goddesses' breasts. The scene takes place beneath the sky sign and is framed by the vertical band to the left and a was scepter along the door jamb.

The ram-headed god is identified as Re'. Between the goddesses and his mummiform figure are two bands of text. The left avers: "It is Osiris who sets as Re." The right: "It is Re who sets as Osiris."

Egyptian theologians are here declaring that Re and Osiris are profoundly intertwined. Yet this is not an obvious alliance, since Osiris represents the chthonian, earth-bound cults that seem to stand in opposition to solar imagery. The polarity can be expressed in countless ways: night versus day, earth versus sun, and so forth. Such fusing of the qualities and traits of Egyptian gods, a practice known as "syncretism", occurs often. Re represents the expiring sun ready to begin once more the nighttime journey into the realm of the dead, Osiris kingdom, so thrusting the two gods into partnership.

The scene is well preserved and a superb example of balanced draftsmanship and excellent execution. Over the door is the tutelary image of Nekhbet with shen signs in her talons.

Page 87

Chamber C

Viewing the ceiling is an ideal opportunity to observe the star-spangled roof of the tomb: five-pointed yellow stars against a blue background. Multiple associations signal not only nighttime but also the imperishable circumpolar stars, astral sentinels who never sink below the horizon and were thus equated with the souls of gods and beings who survived the perilous passage through death to the beyond.

The color of the ceiling is achieved by painting blue over a layer of black. The superimposed yellow stars were laid out along parallel guidelines snapped on to the ceiling from taut cords dipped in white paint.

mrshawski
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am currently reading this book too!

Is Nefertari's tomb still closed to the public
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is and most likely to remain that way for some considerable time Crying or Very sad
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshawski wrote:
Hi

It is $12000 US to enter

Photos And Information about Egyptian objects in Australia

Pompeii news and photos
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you have a view on this super belgian site : http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/pharaons/nefertari/e_nefertari.htm
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgians rock. Dancing

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry Benderitter is Belgian? I had no idea! I thought he was French, but Ill take your word for it.

Osirisnet is one my favorite Egyptian sites. It is very well done.

Kudos to Benderitter Hirst and all the other contributors.
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conorp wrote:
mrshawski wrote:
Hi

It is $12000 US to enter

Shocked For that price it's as good as closed for someone like me! Crying or Very sad
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
mrshawski
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,000!!! Wow

in my last 2 visits to the voftk the same tombs were open too. I was hoping get into Horemheb or Amenhotep II but was very disappointed as they were closed again....

Anyone know if they are likely to re-open?
conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshawski wrote:
12,000!!! Wow

in my last 2 visits to the voftk the same tombs were open too. I was hoping get into Horemheb or Amenhotep II but was very disappointed as they were closed again....

Anyone know if they are likely to re-open?

This is in the valley of the queens

Pompeii news and photos
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places that are open and closed, and the cost to enter. All pricing is quoted in Egyptian pounds.

Entry Fees for Monuments, Temples Tombs and Museums

conorp
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertari's tomb must have gone up then Sad

Pompeii news and photos
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCA and the Getty museum just completed a restoration project on the tomb. The Getty recommended that the tomb be closed, but SCA decided to open it to tourists on a limited basis. The decision is now being re-thought, as the restoration work is suffering through humidity, supplied by the tourists, even though it is open to only limited access. To the best of my knowledge, it does not cost $120,000 to enter the tomb.
Maybe sensen can give us the present fee, as she lives in Luxor and will know what it is now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: