Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Menstration in AE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard that women also used pieces of wood or papyrus reeds (?) as tampons..is that true?
eye_of_horus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleopatra_selene wrote:
ive heard that women also used pieces of wood or papyrus reeds (?) as tampons..is that true?

Shocked Wouldnt that be really painful?
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it would but is it true? or just myth? since it could sound pausible... Idea
eye_of_horus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the wood/ papyrus reeds would probably "soak up" the blood somehow.
It probably depended on what type of wood snd how soft the papyrus was though.
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps..it does make some sense...are there any references or such?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleopatra_selene wrote:

Here's a quote from the website that Aset linked us to earlier in the thread that says that papyrus was used:

Quote:
Nevertheless it is generally assumed that ancient Egyptian women fashioned a kind of throw-away tampon probably from papyrus or other grass; during the Roman era cotton probably took the place of these materials, which is also today's component of that kind of menstrual hygiene.

(Quote taken from here!)

I've never heard of wood being used as tampons, though. Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does sound rather strange since i dont think people would be cutting of palm trees and the few other sacre trees in AE for tampons! Laughing ..and besides, egypt got wood imported from lebanon(?)...and those were quite expensive and used for furniture rather than..tampons
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since we're on the topic of being on your period and all..I was wondering if the AE's had some kind of pain killer or reducer? to help with the cramps? was there a natural erb or something?
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartie wrote:
Well, since we're on the topic of being on your period and all..I was wondering if the AE's had some kind of pain killer or reducer? to help with the cramps? was there a natural erb or something?

They definitely used many oils and herbs to relieve pain, but I can't recall which ones they used specifically. Idea

Take a look at this link; it has details of the Kahun Gynaecological Papyrus.

Treatment; 3 (pain in the lower torso), 15 (swollen abdomen), 16 (pains of the uterus), and 24 (pains of the womb) could possibly refer to remedies for menstrual pains. Idea

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they also used magical spells and such..because they always had a belief in that
Gypsy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been a drag. I wonder how effective the linen was in preventing leakage lol. Plus the women typically wore white. Imagine how many accidents may have happened. silent
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: The Wandering Womb Reply with quote

Mary Lefkowitz, "THE WANDERING WOMB," The New Yorker, February 26, 1996, p. 194

About gynecology in ancient times. For women, certainly, anatomy is destiny. Not so much because of what they lack as because of what they possess, which is to say wombs, vaginas, breasts: the female reproductive system is a weakness of both the body and the mind. That, at any rate, is how men seem to have thought of it for millennia. At the beginning of this century, male educators argued that women would injure their wombs if they studied Greek or mathematics. Ancient doctors believed that the womb could move about in a woman's body, putting pressure on other organs and so causing serious illness, and even death. Tells about Egyptian beliefs of 1900 B.C.: a woman who was unwell was said to be "womby"... How could such diseases of the womb be cured? According to 4th century Hippocratic doctors, there were two viable courses of treatment. One was sexual intercourse, especially if it resulted in pregnancy. The other course of treatment involved medication... Tells about various treatments, including sweet-scented vaginal suppositories, fumigations or vapors, animal excrement, and human excrement mixed with beer froth. Greek doctors prescribed cow or goat dung or bird droppings, often in combination with fragrant wine or rose oil (Cures derived from animal excrement are used today: a form of estrogen used in hormone-replacement therapy is extracted from the urine of pregnant mares... Even today, when wombs have stopped wandering, medicine tends to pathologize the vagaries of the female reproductive system, from menarche to menopause. Women of ancient times themselves looked back with nostalgia on the carefree years of their childhood. Who could blame them for dreading, in sickness and in health, the prospect of their womb-dominated years?

read2

Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Sorry, in my teens i studied herbalism Reply with quote

There are quite a few very useful herbs and and herbal concoctions to deal with PMS. I am not sure what the climate in Egypt allowed for.... But i am fairly sure they had some wonderful stuff that likely works better than what we have today.

I would guess they had aramatic stuff that when burned was suppoosed to be mildly mood/mind altering though barely One of the more common exxamples would be mugwort. Ofcourse, if one is truly in agony and one must be very careful and know how much to use etc.... If one also is not offended by the taste of ass, mugwort tea is very pleasant. Very pain killing. White Willow Bark, is the basis on which modern tylenol is founded. It is hmmm... Containing the same chemical. Then Advil and most other pain killers are based on atleast to a degree on that early tylenol one....

There are some fabulously swanky herbs that cut down on heart problems help clear up acne cause one to sleep. The most interesting and maybe well known example would be Valerian which is an herb and is naturally only 1 very mild and small chemical process away from being Vallium. The difference between the 2 isn't that major. Many people use it to help them sleep.

There are certain things that can be given in emergency situations that will even regulate the heart.... Yeh lucky i knew that when i was 17. But often that sort of thing is excessively poisonous, so i am not giving names out. It has to be used with such extreme extreme care.... Can kill rather quickly....

Another really interesting one, was one worshipped by the druids and commonly kissed under.... To this day at Xmas time.... Mistletoe! But again NOT a toy. CAN cause death or EXTREME ILLNESS if not used properly in a correct dosage. At the right regulated intervals. But if effectively used.... Well.... Very pleasant then. Also as far as i know the bible is full of marijuana references, which is also a pain killer. It would seem likely they used that.... to say the least....
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Girls are icky.
Even Ancient Egyptian ones. Confused

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to this but I believe chamomile was grown then, which we icky girls still can drink in these times for cramping.
I think there were other pain relievers then to, not to mention marijuana and opium (not sure when these things entered Egypt).
As far as circumcision, it would be pretty stupid to mutilate girls when the wisdom says marry young and have many children. In countries where they commit this crime (i mean practice this tradition, excuse me), there is much pain and bleeding during sex and childbirth, which would logically raise the maternal mortality rate, not to mention making marriage something that women (well at least me) would run kicking and screaming from. The countries that practice female mutilation have pretty abysmal records on women's rights, and from my amateur knowledge, women were very free in Egypt, could inherit property, could initiate divorce.... I cannot imagine that mutilation would be something common... i hope for their sake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: