Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karnak: is it the largest in the world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Karnak: is it the largest in the world? Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of people and sites claim that Karnak is the largest complex of religious buildings in the world. Is this true? I thought the Vatican was the world's largest religious complex. I do think Karnak is the largest ancient temple still surviving in Egypt though (apparently Amenhotep's temple was larger, but only the Collosi of Memnon remain.)
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Karnak temple has about 54,000 sq. feet.
The Vatican has appx. 15,000 sq. feet.
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karnak: is it the largest in the world? Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I've seen a lot of people and sites claim that Karnak is the largest complex of religious buildings in the world. Is this true?

August 13, 2007—The largest religious complex in the world, Cambodia's Angkor Wat is the jewel in the vast Angkor archaeological site. The lost city was an ancient wonder of urban sprawl, according to a new survey that uncovered 74 temples and more than a thousand artificial ponds in Angkor's "suburbs."

National Geographic: Angkor Wat

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, wysingm.

Laughing Looks like I'll have to revise part of the tours I give because I've always told people that Karnak is the world's largest religious complex, with over 60 acres of temples. That's how a lot of the literature reports it.

But I must confess I never even considered Angkor Wat and evidently it's quite a bit larger than Karnak.

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're still o.k. with saying that Karnak is the largest temple in the world. Angkor Wat, while larger in acres covered, is a collection of several temples plus living areas, while Karnak is one temple, although there are areas devoted to various gods.
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
I think you're still o.k. with saying that Karnak is the LARGEST TEMPLE in the world.

I agree Osiris. Smile

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say that Angkor Wat was the largest ancient temple as well...maybe the living quarters don't count? Maybe it was more of a religious city than a temple complex? I thought Karnak also had living quarters for priests too, unless they lived in Thebes, not within the temple boundaries.

I always thought that the 'Karnak is largest' claim was a slight exaggeration or a case of accidentally replacing 'Egypt's largest' with 'the world's largest'. But maybe it is true, after all, Egypt has the world's tallest pyramid (not the biggest by volume though, but Khufu's is the tallest stone pyramid) and the oldest pyramid (Saqqara). Seems that ancient Egypt has a lot of record breaking buildings! Smile
wysingm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I thought Karnak also had living quarters for priests too, unless they lived in Thebes, not within the temple boundaries.

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always thought that the 'Karnak is largest' claim was a slight exaggeration or a case of accidentally replacing 'Egypt's largest' with 'the world's largest'.

I would guess it's a bit of exaggeration on the part of naughty Egyptologists; although, to be fair to them, they might not even know the dimensions of Angkor Wat. I say this only because I have read more than once in books written by Egyptologists that Karnak is the largest. No uncertain terms about it. I didn't know anything about the size of Angkor Wat myself until wysingm enlightened us.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: