Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Niqmadu's vase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Niqmadu's vase Reply with quote

I've read about this in one of the threads, but I can't find the original message at all Confused
It's about this king from Ugarit, Niqmadu who would have married a princess Tiy(?), supposed daughter of Pharaoh Amenophis IV - Achenaton. A fragment of an alabaster vase, now located in the Museum of Damascus shows this Niqmadu with an Egyptian princess. I find the whole story, how little we may know about it, quite baffling. Remember how Amenhotep III said to the king of Babylonia that 'daughters of the king are not given to a stranger'? Next to the Zananza-Ankhesenamon story this is quite contradicting each other.

Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to bump into that picture, remembered the message, don't really know if anything can be said about it though Cool
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Not sure if this is the bit you read but Anneke and I had talked briefly about Egyptian princesses marrying outside of Egypt.
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=146&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
scroll three quarters of the way down.

Quote:
Quote: And an Egyptian princess? Do you remember what era she was in?

Anneke replies
I think that has been much debated. I have seen that an Egyptologist (can't remember his name) was speculating that it was an Amarna Princess.
It has been speculated that it was Setepenre, one of the younger daughters of Akhenaten and Neferititi.

Would have been a clean way of getting rid of Ankhesenamen wouldn't it?

I think others have put forth the theory that this marriage took place much much later. Like 26th dynasty.

Do you have a date for the fragment?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's apparently sure to have belonged to this Niqmadu-fellow.
Not much to be found on him though:

1. He would be the same as a Nikmed, sovereign over the cities of Gubla, Ugarit and Ras Shamra, mentioned in the Amarna letters (EA 71, 83, 85, 117, 121, 127, 129, 132, 138).

2. In his reign he constantly had to keep the balance between the pressure of the northern states and Egyptian influence, so it appears.

3. His rule would have stretched out during the reigns of both Amenhotep III and IV. Since the latter one only ruled 14 years it's still possible he ruled after Achenaton as well.

4. There's been some drama around his name. I quote: "Nikomedes is an old Greek name. The similarity between the name Nikomedes, which was regarded as an Ionian name, and the name of the King of Ugarit, Nikmed, was to them so obvious that, after deciphering the name of the king, two scholars (Hrozny and Dhorme), working independently, related it to the Greek name. Other scholars (Claude Schaeffer), however, rejected this equation of the name of King Nikmed with Nikomedes of the Greeks, asking how an Ionian name could have been in use in the 14th century BC. Those who had decided on the Greek connection were found to be unable to defend their position."

5. He should not be confused with a later king Niqmed of Ugarit, expelled from his city by the Assyrian king Shalmaneser III (858 - 832 BC) - Around the time of the 26th dynasty that is. Ugarit was by then a maritime commercial city with a royal palace and its population was composed of various ethnic groups. One document found there describes the expulsion of this king Niqmed and all the foreign groups in the city. Among them were people of Alasia (Cyprus), Khar (explained to be Hurrites), and Jm'an. That last name was identified by the decipherers as "Jamanu", which is well known from the Assyrian inscriptions, and means "Ionians".

6. That's about it. I think he married a princess of lower descent though, not a royal one. I'd find it very unlikely.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He should not be confused with a later king Niqmed of Ugarit, expelled from his city by the Assyrian king Shalmaneser III (858 - 832 BC) - Around the time of the 26th dynasty that is.

Why not? Is there other evidence that points to the 18th dynasty period???

There is an interesting episode in Egyptian history, where during the 25th dynasty Pharaoh Taharqa was chased out of Egypt (back to Nubia). His family, including his wife and some chilren, were captured though.
This would have been an excellent time for the captured Queen or possibly a Princess of Egypt to be married of to a minor King of the general region.
Would add to the humiliation wouldn't it?

But if the fragment is of the same period as the Amarna Period, then this could be one of the Amarna Princesses.
Then again, no one knows what happened to Kiya's daughter either. It seems that the possibilities are endless. Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: