Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incredible Documentry-The Black Pharoahs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Incredible Documentry-The Black Pharoahs Reply with quote

Watched a show on ABC Australia simply titled "The Black Pharoahs" a few months back and as it was of such quality i thought i should let you guys here know of it's existence.

For anyone interested in Egypt and the Sudan this is a must see program--compared to all the documentries i have seen on Egypt this one is pre-eminent!

It is loaded with so much fascinating quality information about Egypt from people who seem to know what they are talking about and covers and revises the concept of the so called demise of the new kingdom which for me has always been a confusing period but this program makes the transition from indigenous egyptian rule in the 18, 19 and 20th dynasties to the non indigenous rule shortly hereafter much clearer.

I highly reccomend this program as i throughly enjoyed watching it.

Found this site relating to the program-i think it enables you to download and watch it although as i have seen it i haven't tried.

http://xhgc18.blogspot.com/2008/02/bbc-timewatch-black-pharaohs.html
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it only covers the period of rule by the southern kings of kush/nubia/the sudan-whatever you call the area south of egypt.

I found myself infected by the passion the archaeologists in this program had for the sudan and it made me appreciate the country from it's beautiful desert landscape of rugged rocky outcrops and strange rock formations to it's incredible societies and their associated achievments resulting in new archaelogical discoveries from this new and unknown part of the world.
DaveB
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading about this in Nat Geo. Great article

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/02/black-pharaohs/robert-draper-text.html
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Nubia is so mysterious because not much is known about it as people assume anything south of Egypts cataract border is the limit to civilization-which makes it even more interesting!

I find things like when one of the archaeologists decided to see if what the textbooks on Egypt said about how lake Nassar swallowed up all the massive border fortifications in Egypts south was true or not and that he travelled beyond Egypts border into the Sudan and found there are still some of those massive border fortresses intact standing deep within the Nubian border fascinating!

Also the natural rock formation that looks like a rearing cobra is mindblowing because what are the chances of Egyptian royal regalia hundreds of years old resembling a natural rock formation in newly unknown acquired territory that they've never seen/discovered before! I like the way Egyptians found deep symbolism with this and saw it as the place where the sun god dwelt and it almost makes there claim to divine and legitimate rule over the area plausable! I've never really been a beliver in divine rule but after seeing that rock formation, at least in Egypts case, something extraordinary is going on!

The nearby Egyptian temple complexes are interesting and also the fact heavy weights like Amenhotep the III built palaces/temples that deep within Sudan really gives a whole new dimension to Egypts power and huge acquired landmass during it's golden age and for me makes it all so interesting!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Sudans harsh deserts being the only way to travel into the south of the country due to the difficulty of river travel because of the Nile cataracts and thus extreme Inaccessibility and remoteness make Egypts rule over this large territory all the more amazing and fascinating to comprehend how far there country stretched during the golden age and the huge effort required to move across Sudans deserts to reach Jebel Barkal.

I guess the huge impact of Jebel Barkals resembelane to the kings regalia is what motivated the people to travel through such harsh desert conditions for weeks at a time.
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Yeh it is a mystery Reply with quote

But i would like to make one small point here... I don't know a teenager who wouldn't agree to an extra month of school, or face any other challenge, if they knew on the other side would be on a clothes hanger the newest $1000 designer jeans that everyone else wanted but couldn't afford, just waiting there in the perfect size wanting to be claimed. Sorry i kinow my kid sister for 1 would jump through every hoop to get them, and she isn't even a teenager anymore!

I thi9nk the average age of these people was alot younger and stuffs.... And i think adulthood started much earlier.... Teenagers haven't got fully developed brains. You can't hold them or those under lets say 25 to the same standard of rationality as you would people above this age. Twisted Evil

Though it seems unbelievable that no one older than that lived there or was involved in the challenges found in that area, I would guess some things, just like today, was maybe a thing for the youth? Those old enough to know better but still too young to care..... This could explain some stuff.Twisted Evil

Plus on the opposite side of that there desert there musta been someone with interesting trendy designer junk of some sort.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: