Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures from museums (NEW THREAD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conorp wrote:
Im very sorry about the second page. I couldnt find a way that all the writing would fit. If its important i will type it up, but that could take a while.

Anyway, here it is:

Hi conorp could you type up the text on pg. 50 for me please. Smile

http://conorp.unixpod.com/ptah.pdf
EgyptQuest
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Copyrights Reply with quote

Copyright, branch of law granting authors the exclusive privilege to reproduce, distribute, perform, or display their creative works. The goal of copyright law is to encourage authors to invest effort in creating new works of art and literature. Copyright is one branch of the larger legal field known as intellectual property, which also includes trademark and patent law.
1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Copyrights / trade mark laws were created to encourage creative people with their OWN ideas to research/produce their OWN ideas/information.

The idea that any one could copyright the creations conceived by other's minds appears to be silly.

An Egyptian stubs their toe on an important find .. or
A team of archeologist spend great sums of money and time when they dig up a different find
- Then some museum owners get to charge the public for ever for an object they did not conceive nor even find?

Copy right laws in taking pictures of some ancient Egyptians creation have nothing to do with portecting the creative minds of museum owners or governments... these bogus copy rights deal only with the greed of those who have taking the creations of ancient Egyptians and sell something they had no part in creating or even finding.

They can and do what they will.. but the governments need stop them from using the bogus term copy right.. this practice should come under another law with another title
Selling the inventions / ideas of the original authors with out their knowledge or premission.

Imagine some the guy walking into a government office and applying for a copyright on the declaration of independence or some one in Paris going to their government office and getting a copy right on the tower... and enforcing the laws that any in the world had to pay them money to see that which they have NOTHING to do in the creation?

Such governments/museums who charge people to photograph works that THEIR OWN CREATION/AUTHORSHIP does not exist, are pathetic.

They are as immoral as some goof sitting on the entrance of the Brooklyn Bridge, charging people to cross it.

Copyright laws were created to protect the authors and promote creative minds.
Extortion laws would be those who would protect the right of snake oil salesmen to sell the ideas and creations of others.

These museums make great profits already, it is nothing but greed that would have them prostutite the works of the ancient Egyptian authors.
EgyptQuest
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Photos discussion benefit any tourist industry Reply with quote

What photos could any one take that thousands have not already taken?
Do these museums think they can put the genie back in the bottle?

The internet is an endless community of people sharing their interest with the world.
The amature photos and conversations stir the interest of the world and will lead to tens of thousands buying books, visiting exhibits ... and a multidude will visit Egypt.. filling their hotels, booking travel agents, buying products in Egypt.

It is no fun buying a post card for $2.00 and posting an image of it in your conversations (besides the post card may even be copy righted).

There are no greater salesmen in the whole world than the public who talks about the exciting things they saw, shares their amature photos and their tid bits of knowledge about the ancient Egyptians.

Taking your camera to Egypt, Paris, China IS PART OF THE EXPERIENCE and these greedy people are going to charge tourist every time they push the shutter button?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Copyrights Reply with quote

EgyptQuest wrote:
These museums make great profits already, it is nothing but greed that would have them prostutite the works of the ancient Egyptian authors.

Great profits... You're kidding, right?
Musea aren't exactly equal to Coca-Cola or McDonalds. I think.
I understand the frustration, but you have to consider "these people" may have other reasons than plain lust for profit.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Copyrights Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:
EgyptQuest wrote:

Great profits... You're kidding, right?
Musea aren't exactly equal to Coca-Cola or McDonalds. I think.
I understand the frustration, but you have to consider "these people" may have other reasons than plain lust for profit.

I would have to agree. One of the museums where I'm a docent is the Field Museum of Natural History. It's one of the largest natural history museums in the world and employs a large number of leading scientists...and is chronically hard up for cash.

The other museum is the Oriental Institute, at the University of Chicago. The O.I. is hardly hemorrhaging cash, either. It's a constant struggle for these places to keep the revenue coming in.

LOL For the record I have to admit that photography is allowed in the permanent-collection galleries at both of these places. The cynical part of me says that at museums where photography is prohibited, the rule is in place to make the colorful museum catalogues in the gift shops more tempting. Mind you, I have no idea if there's any validity to that notion.

I personally do not like Egypt's stringent rules against photography in many of its historic sites, and feel the average tourist would have a more positive experience overall in being allowed to photograph most of what he or she sees. We can dislike it all we want to, but in the end, these historic sites belong to Egypt, Egypt is an autonomous nation, and it has the right to govern and regulate its sites however it wants to. We have to deal with it.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: