Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutankhamun's innermost coffin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing for akhenaton? or even aye who later took over after king tut?-- the whole murder conspiracy involved here...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eye_of_horus wrote:
Quote:
Could someone give more info on King Tut's mask and what some of the inscriptions say?

The mask is about 21 inches tall and 15.5 inches wide. I'm not sure what the weight is but Zahi Hawass probably wears it to masquerade balls so he'd probably know. Razz Besides the obvious gold the mask is inlaid with lapis lazuli (the beautiful blue bands), which is a stone originating in Afghanistan; the eyes are done in calcite (for the whites) and obsidian (for the pupils); and the broad collar contains green feldspar, quartz, more lapis, and perhaps other semi-precious stones.

I insisted earlier--maybe here or in another thread--that I would not type out the inscription on the back of the mask. I posted this link showing the inscription, with the translation in German. Well, I'm in the mood tonight so I'm quoting the inscription below, which I take from The Name of the Dead: Tutankhamun Translated, by Hany Assaad and Daniel Kolos (page 83):

Quote:
Hail to you, Fair of Face, Lord of Radiance, whom Ptah-Sokar has knit together, whom Anubis has set on high and to whom Thoth has given the Supports (of Heaven). Fair of Face who is among the gods, your right eye is the night bark, your left eye is the day-bark, your eyebrows are the Ennead, your forehead is Anubis, the back of your Head is Horus, is anyone actually reading this, your braided tress is Ptah-Sokar, and (you are) before Osiris that he might see by means of you. May you guide him on fair roads that you may obstruct for him the confederacy of Seth and that he might overthrow your enemies before the Ennead in the Great Mansion of the Prince which is in Heliopolis. He has taken possession of the crown in the presence of Horus, Lord of Patricians. O Osiris, King Nebkheperura, justified, given life like Ra.

There, now you people can't say I never gave you anything. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
neferwiwi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kemet Sesh - you beat me to it. Thanks ! Further to this thread I was going to post a translation... However, please note that yours is better than mine ! With my profound gratitude of saying me a lot of time !
Nef
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...talk about compliments to the king! thanks kmt_sesh
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, please note that yours is better than mine ! With my profound gratitude of saying me a lot of time !

LOL All I did was type it verbatim from my source, so I'm afraid there was no translation mastery on my own part. At least you don't have to go through the work of typing it now.

Very Happy

Visit my blog!
cleopatra_selene
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
King Nebkheperura

is that another name for King tut or osiris or another king entirely?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleopatra_selene wrote:
is that another name for King tut or osiris or another king entirely?

Nebkheperura is Tutankhamun's throne-name; it means "Lord of the forms of Ra," or something like that. Smile

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
eye_of_horus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer kmt sesh and I do recall that the "I'm a slow typer, please do not make me type the translation out" thread Laughing

anyways
Daughter of Seti, if Tutankhamun had a throne name, does it mean other pharaohs also had throne names? Idea
neferwiwi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Seti, if Tutankhamun had a throne name, does it mean other pharaohs also had throne names? Idea[/quote]

All pharohs had "throne names". They were given when the new king was crowned. It is called in the lingo prenomen. Prior to the 11th dynasty is was called the Horus name. The Prenomen almost always carried the name of Re (or Ra). It's the name that follows the titled "King of Upper and Lower Egypt.

The Nomen (birth name) is the name given to the king at birth as it preceeded by "Sa Ra" - son of Ra. In the case of Tutankhaten.... this was his Nomen. Nebkeperura is his prenomen, or throne name.

Cheers, Nef.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nebkheperura is Tutankhamun's throne-name; it means "Lord of the forms of Ra," or something like that.

Nebkheprure is generally translated as "Lordly manifestations of Re" or "Many are the forms of Re," the latter being somewhat innacurate, I should think. Po-tay-to/po-tah-to.

Visit my blog!
jamie malloy
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuts mask weighs 11KG i read that inmy 'treasures of tutankhamun' book

it also says that the lapis isnt inlayed pure but powdered up and added to glass in the appropriate shapes and then inlayed

Smile
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise this topic is about the innermost coffin-couldn't find the thread on the outermost coffin.

Here are some nice pictures of it though during the recent National Geographic Tut Scan

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-king-tut-pg,0,286572.photogallery

http://www.claudemariottini.com/blog/labels/King%20Tut.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: