Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baketamen (is she possibly Baketaten?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Baketamen (is she possibly Baketaten?) Reply with quote

I was reading Corpus of Hieroglyphic Inscriptions in the Brooklyn Museum by TGH James and a staff of an official named Amenmose is mentioned.

The staff carries an inscription: offering to Amun <by> the craftsman of the King's Daughter Baketamen, may she live, of Pa-ta-en-hut
There is supposed to be a mention of this staff in Lepsius Denkmaler, Text I , Porter and Moss Volume I 2nd ed part 2.

The staff originally came from the Abbott Collection. It was likely found in Thebes.

Gauthier thought it might date to the Ramesside period, but James states that The character of the hieroglyphics, however suggest an earlier date, possibly late Dynasty XVIII. The title of Amenmose is very strange and the place name Pa-ta-en-hut is not otherwise attested.

I thought it was a rather interesting piece. Baketamen kinda sounds like the "amunized" version of Baketaten.

Without knowing more about Amenmose I guess it would be hard to ever determine with any certainty if this could be a glimpse of Princess Baketaten, but I found it intriguing.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Huya's tomb, a sculptor is making a statue of Baketaten without the model. As one was made of Meketaten after her death, there is a high possibility Baketaten died when Akhenaten was alive; the statue being then made for her funeral.

In Dodson p.138 , the Beket(amun) from the BMA is a daughter of Thutmose III.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That's quite a variety of dates for the inscription: Ramesside, Late dyn18, and then the latest ideas put it even earlier (T3).

I will have to look at Dodson/Hilton to see if they say why they believe it dates to the thutmosid period.
Not that I don't believe it Smile I'm just curious.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on this article for more details : http://www.egyptstudy.org/ostracon/archives/DodsonTIII.pdf
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodson writes in the article (I edited the text to make it look like a ist):
Quote:
Daughter of Tuthmosis III. She is named on
- a fragment of a faience votive object from Deir el-Bahri, now in Boston;
- on a wooden staff of her servant, Amenmose, now in Brooklyn;
- and probably on a scarab in the British Museum.
- She may be represented in the Hathor Chapel of her fatherís temple at Deir el-Bahri, where the figure of a princess behind Merytamun C has lost her name.

Maybe due to the fact that there are not that many women with the name of Baketamen, there's an assumption that these are one and the same woman?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: