Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Leiden stela of Meriptah and the Jackal-collar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: The Leiden stela of Meriptah and the Jackal-collar Reply with quote

The Leiden stela of Meriptah and Ptahmose and the Jackal-collar.

On the figures in the naos, from left to right :

Tawy, the mother of Meriptah and Phahmose (1), lady of te house,

Meriptah, son of the Overseer of the City and vizier Dhutmose, the Prophet and Chief Steward of the mansion of Amenhotep III, Meriptah, justified.

Ptahmose, Son of the Overseer of the City and Vizier Dhutmose, the Sem-priest, Chief of the Master-craftsmen.

The vizier Dhutmose, father of Meriptah and Ptahmose(1)

Chief of the master-craftsmen, Pthamose (2), son of Menkheper.

Meriptah, his brother Ptahmose (1) and Ptahmose (2) son of Menkheper are wearing "identical costumes"; a wig with side-lock, leopard-skin , a plaited scarf from shoulder to belt, a belt with a broad bead-pendant, two shebu collars, sandals, and the “jackal-collar” (this collar is generally considered to be the distinguishing ornament of the High-priest of Memphis).

The jackal-collar is first known with Khabawseker of the Third Dynasty. It remained essentially the same through more than a thousand years.
It consists of a jackal-shaped elongated figure with two had-shaped front legs which are raised in adoration and three pairs of legs.
The jackal-head lies on the one (usually the right) shoulder of the wearer; the thin strip-like body reaches over the breast while the hind legs lie on the other shoulder. This figure is connected with a narrow ring round the neck of the wearer by means of three zigzag strips.
Over or under this collar lie about twelve strings, each of them supporting one amulet.In the case of Khabawseker there are six ankh amulets and six of circular shape.
Source :
The Memphite stela of Meriptah and Ptahmose
Kate Bosse-Griffiths

For a drawing of the jackal-collar see, Saqqara Mastabas I by Margaret A. Murray
plate 36, 2-3
http://www.cwru.edu/univlib/preserve/Etana/saqqara_mustabas_p1/plates3.pdf

The jackal-collar in not visible on the photograph that I have taken in Leiden.
Does anyone have a better picture?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Meriptah was also Sem in the House of Ptah, and Chief of the master craftsmen in Southern Heliopolis (in other words, the High Priest of the Theban Cult of Ptah).
That's probably the reason why he also wears the costume of the High priest of Phah.
Source :
William J. Murnane
Amenhotep III, perspectives on His Reign
The organization of Government under Amenhotep III
p. 210
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a catalog of the Leiden Museum, but can't find it right now Confused
I will look for it and scan the picture of the stela if I manage to locate the catalog.

I think the leopard heads are visible on their left shoulders though. It rests just below thier shoulder from what I can see.
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rozette,

Is this type of collar related to the use of the name z3b (jackal) in connection with certain official titles?

Idea
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khuy-n-inpw,

The jackal-collar is generally considered to be the distinguishing ornament of the High-priest of Of Memphis.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozette wrote:
I forgot to mention that Meriptah was also Sem in the House of Ptah, and Chief of the master craftsmen in Southern Heliopolis (in other words, the High Priest of the Theban Cult of Ptah).
That's probably the reason why he also wears the costume of the High priest of Phah.
Source :
William J. Murnane
Amenhotep III, perspectives on His Reign
The organization of Government under Amenhotep III
p. 210

However, it should be noted that Meriptah shows no titles as a High Priest of Memphis, for whom the /zAb/ collar is reserved, according to Bose-Griffiths (1955). So, perhaps there needs to be a major rethink of the significance of the /zAb/ collar.

Reference:

Bose-Griffiths, K. 1955. The Memphite Stela of Merptah and Ptahmose. JEA 41: 56-63.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: