Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me im a complete newbie!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all right, so I'm hard on Budge. I make no apologies for that. Laughing

I do concede that Budge might stand as a good starting-off point for beginners, and the price for his books is tempting. However, I would still argue for much more recent scholarship, and there's a wealth of it out there. A lot of it is very affordable, and if price is still an issue, a lot of it is easily obtainable at one's public library.

I actually do own two or three of Budge's books, and they happen to be from my very early days of building a personal library. I can't remember the last time I even looked at one of them, though. There's just such a wealth of more reliable scholarship at one's disposal.

So what I would tell a person just starting out, go ahead and buy one or two of Budge's books, but do not use them as a primary source. When pondering his volume on the Book of the Dead, back it up with a good look at Faulkner's translation. Ditto for Budge's dictionary and Faulkner's dictionary, the latter of which is even cheaper. If you want to learn hieroglyphs, however, I would say don't bother with Budge's little book on it, considering all of the modern and excellent books there are nowadays for beginners (Collier, Zauzich, and Kamrin, to name but three).

Most importantly, like I said before, happy reading! I should put in the warning to any and all beginners who might be reading this, do take care: the more you study ancient Egypt, the more addicted you'll get!

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: