Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The role of the king's servants...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: The role of the king's servants... Reply with quote

I recently read that a Nubian tradition was that the servants of the current ruler had to suffer the same injuries as their king. So, if the king had his arm chopped off in battle, his followers would be made to suffer the same thing. I don't know to what extreme this tradition went, though. I'd heard before that the Nubians believed in sacrificing their own lives when their ruler died, but I'd never heard before that they did so much sacrificing of themselves during their lives, too. Surprised

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your source say if this was during some specific part of their history? I'm curious for instance if that would be the case during the Napatan kingdom which included Pianky, Taharqa, Shabaka etc?
Or if this was the case during the later Meroitic period?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, but that sounds incredibly familiar. It's nagging at me now. Where did you read that, Daughter_Of_SETI? I'm wondering if I came across it in the same source.

Along the same lines, it is known that the Nubians practiced the burial of servants when the king died. The contorted postures of the skeletal remains eerily reveal the fact that the retainers were probably buried alive. Unfortunately I can't recall the period during which this was known to occur.

Gees, my poor brain is slipping fast. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Kiya
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gees, my poor brain is slipping fast.

Downhill all the way for you now, Kmt_sesh Laughing
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Did your source say if this was during some specific part of their history? I'm curious for instance if that would be the case during the Napatan kingdom which included Pianky, Taharqa, Shabaka etc?

I can't find the exact quote now, but it made out like there was some form of evidence (shaky, at best) that in periods before the Nubians came to rule Egypt, rulers of Nubian lands expected these kinds of body mutilations from their servants if something happened to themselves, and this is what lead later to the Nubian pharaohs having their servants sacrificed and buried near them when they themselves died.

kmt_sesh wrote:
Damn, but that sounds incredibly familiar. It's nagging at me now. Where did you read that, Daughter_Of_SETI?

I read it in The Pyramids of egypt, by I. E. S. Edwards. Wink Maybe it's an old theory that has since lost weight, or something, seeing as it doesn't appear to be mentioned much in later books?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I have never read Edwards's book (yet), so it must be a fairly well-discussed theory.

Speaking of Edwards, you're going to make me buy that, too, aren't you? I bought Romer, so Edwards would be next. Gees, you're going to put me in the poor house! Razz

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if I'm going to the poor house I've got to take someone with me to keep me company! Twisted Evil

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. But if both you and I are there together in the poor house, and we're too poor to afford anything, what in the hell are we going to read to pass the time? Laughing

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we'll find something to read...erm, there's got to be some of Gadalla's rubbish in the poor-house, right? That ought to keep us entertained for a while. Laughing

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
I'm sure we'll find something to read...erm, there's got to be some of Gadalla's rubbish in the poor-house, right? That ought to keep us entertained for a while. Laughing

#Rofl You got that right! But this is a poor house, correct? Likely the budget to bunk us poor folks will be very small, and Charmin can be so expensive, so they'll probably have Gadalla's rubbish in the bathroom for toilet paper.

Oh, my, I'm ever so nasty! I could've gone all day without saying that...but it was too hard to hold back. Twisted Evil

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
But this is a poor house, correct? Likely the budget to bunk us poor folks will be very small, and Charmin can be so expensive, so they'll probably have Gadalla's rubbish in the bathroom for toilet paper.

#Rofl #Rofl Ahh, so if I hear a fit of giggles coming from the bathroom, I'll know what you're doing; just reading some of Gadalla's hysterical theories from the toilet paper! laughing9 laughing9

kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol:
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, see that, Daughter_Of_SETI? Someone else can appreciate the ridiculing of Mr. Gadalla's theory. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
kendo1
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The role of the king's servants... Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
I recently read that a Nubian tradition was that the servants of the current ruler had to suffer the same injuries as their king. So, if the king had his arm chopped off in battle, his followers would be made to suffer the same thing. I don't know to what extreme this tradition went, though. I'd heard before that the Nubians believed in sacrificing their own lives when their ruler died, but I'd never heard before that they did so much sacrificing of themselves during their lives, too. Surprised

THIS DID NOT HAPPEN DURING AFTER THE NAPATAN PERIOD OF KUSH OR CHRISTIAN NUBIA AND LATER.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator's note: please do not post in all capitals. Capitals are used to convey that one is shouting. It's considered rude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: