Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Origins of the Corn-filled Osirises???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Origins of the Corn-filled Osirises??? Reply with quote

I just read this, which I've never heard of before, so I thought I'd share:

The Great Pyramid: Ancient Egypt Revisited, by John Romer (Page 446) wrote:
The most fundamental of Osiris' qualities, and the one that inspires the Pyramid Texts' most vivid images, is that of god of the dead. But he is also a god of resurrection. And in this second role he takes on specific attributes that had been developing since earliest times and were born of the observation of phenomena in the Nile Valley. For example, as in the fifth millennium BC when the occupants of the prehistoric village of Merimda Beni Salama sprinkled their dead with grains of wheat, so later in pharaonic history those same seeds were sometimes planted in beds shaped in the form of Osirs and left to sprout in the darkness of a tomb chamber.

(Any spelling or punctuation errors are likely mine! Embarassed )

I'd never read about the Merimda Beni Salama rituals before, so I found that very interesting. Anyone have anymore information on that?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Origins of the Corn-filled Osirises??? Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
I'd never read about the Merimda Beni Salama rituals before, so I found that very interesting. Anyone have anymore information on that?

Seeher, Jürgen: Burial Customs in Predynastic Egypt - A View from the Delta. - Tel Aviv, 1992. - ISBN: 965-221-015-3 - The Nile Delta in Transition : 4th-3rd Millenium B.C. - Proceedings of the Seminar held in Cairo 21.-24. October 1990 at the Netherlands Institute of Archaeology and Arabic Studies. - S. 225 - 233

and of course the publications by Josef Eiwanger about his work there from the 80`s and early 90`s, all in German.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: