Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amarna Age Chronology and the Identity of Nibhururiya ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Amarna Age Chronology and the Identity of Nibhururiya ... Reply with quote

Dear Friends !
Maybe this article could be by some interest ... for some of you ? Smile

http://www.atypon-link.com/AV/doi/abs/10.1524/aofo.2007.0009

Greetings, Lutz.
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lutz. This looks very interesting.

Cool
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that. I have only had time to read the first couple of pages, but the explanations look very thorough. It's nice to read such a well thought out paper on such a complex question.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who have commented the earlier drafts (note 2) were those in favor of the conclusion. I looked at the paper when annouced on EEF, and found it light weight in several parts.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz for posting the link to the article Razz !
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This paper presents excellent textual and chronological evidence that the tahamunzu was Nefertiti, but seems to express uncertainty about whether this can possibly fit in with what we know or can infer about Akhenaten’s royal blood-line.

Dr. Jared L. Miller (Altoriental. Forsch. 34 (2007) 2. p.261) wrote:
The question is… not whether there were any ‘males of royal lineage’, but (1) whether there was a son of the king, and failing that, (2) whether there were males extant who could be considered by those in power as legitimate contenders for the throne, and whether their claims could outweigh the claim (and clout) of the tahamunzu that she and her husband had no son and that she therefore would rather marry a foreign prince than one of her ‘servants’.

‘Outweigh’ suggests ratiocination, whereas to me it looks more like a fierce struggle for power (driven by very powerful social forces) between the Atenists (led by Nefertiti) and the traditionalists (grouped around the pliable figure of young Tutankhaten). In such historic conflicts, people tend to go to extremes, and the idea of ‘legitimacy’ is usually the earliest victim.

In this scenario, wouldn’t the Hittites have hesitated, eventually having to support the Atenists, whose offer was too good to refuse? Wouldn’t their opponents, naturally, have struck back, leading to a serious deterioration of Egypto-Hittite relations? Isn’t this, in fact, what most probably happened?

Idea
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khuy-n-inpw wrote:
This paper presents excellent textual and chronological evidence that the tahamunzu was Nefertiti,

If alive, Nefertiti was over 30 when Akhenaten died. She had given birth to six daughters. Zannanza was what 15-20 ? In such circumstances, I do not believe a woman would look forward to have more chidren with an unknown young man. To keep the control of Egypt, it would have been sufficient for Nefertiti to be the regent of an unmarried Tutankhamon; no need to go through the problems of pregnancy again.

The hittite defeat mentioned in EA17 do not tell us who was the hittite king at that time. If this one was Tudhaliya the younger, this could explain why he was murdered and why Suppiluliuma replaced him (Suppiluliuma in partnership with his father had restored the hittite kingdom). With this assumption Suppiluliuma became king of Hatti around the same time Akhenaten became king of Egypt.

Please note that no hittitologists have been asked to comment on this paper.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard. wrote:
Khuy-n-inpw wrote:
This paper presents excellent textual and chronological evidence that the tahamunzu was Nefertiti,

... Please note that no hittitologists have been asked to comment on this paper.

Gerard is bringing it to the point. I also have my problems with that. In the last 20 years I looked at so many of such ground breaking news ... But often it lasted not very long and the next expert came and told with the same security and scientific conviction reverse ... Rolling Eyes

So, would be nice to hear / read something from hittitologists about this new text interpretation / translation ?! And until than for me the " affair of tahamunzu " makes just sense when Anchsunamun was the queen of Egypt who wrote this letter. Razz

Greetings,

Lutz.
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 253 (pdf 2) : ‘Arma’a = Haremhab, Egyptian Viceroy and Commander in Asia
AFAIK nobody ever had this title in Egypt. The text does not say that ‘Arma’a was in Syria at the time of the events. Further more there is a fair chance Mursili wrote to a king and not to a general. If Mursili’s scribe did not know Horemheb king’s name, he may have just called him by his name as general; after all this text (in hittite ?) was for hittite eyes only.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just over half way through it and I'm getting pretty annoyed at the insistant use of mini quotes from one group of authors then counter quotes from opposing authors. I know some writers justify statements on the grounds that other respected authors have also written said statement, but I just find it frustrating that less attention is paid to the actual texts and artifacts mentioned and furthermore others that are not (so far as I've read) been noted at all.

As yet, to me anyway, its far from a convincing theory but still a thought provoking read and thanks to Lutz for posting it. Smile
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:
I know some writers justify statements on the grounds that other respected authors have also written said statement, but I just find it frustrating that less attention is paid to the actual texts and artifacts mentioned and furthermore others that are not (so far as I've read) been noted at all.

Thanks for keeping my weary eyes from having to focus on writing the same, Ses.
Always a lifesaver, you! Just to say: what I was thinking.
A very intruiging, but equally frustrating read.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
Gerard.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bis, too many of these PhD are not trained historians. Most of the time to-day, they are civil servants busy with their own career and no experience in business, military and religious activities.
littleone
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning from everyone here is helping me get through the flu so thank you... but
maybe I'm not so great at computers, I'm only getting this in German
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: