Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amenhotep IV's temples at Sesebi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefertum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Amenhotep IV's temples at Sesebi Reply with quote

My apologies if this is misplaced. I was dithering trying to find the place for this; considered temples/monuments and the Nubia sections, but finally ended up here due to the builder of the temples. If I was mistaken, can a moderator kindly move it to the more appropriate place, and give me 20 lashes with a soggy papyrus, or whatever is appropriate?

Does anyone know anything about the two temples Amenhotep IV built in the fortress town of Sesebi in Nubia, which is somewhat south of Soleb?

The larger of the buildings was a triple temple dedicated to Amen-Re, Mut, and Khonsu.

The other appears to have been an open-air solar temple; from what little description I can find of this, it seems to have been a walled altar-court on a raised terrace.

The first temple seems odd, if only because of its builder and the deities to whom it is dedicated. The second temple seems also odd, in that it apparently was still a functioning concern in the early 19th dynasty, and was added to in that period ... by Sety I, of all people.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertum,

For information about Amenhotep IV's temples at Sesebi look at :

Preliminary Report on the Excavations at Sesebi, Northern Province, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, 1936-37
A. M. Blackman
The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Dec., 1937), pp. 145-151

In the book of Peter James Brand, The monumets of Seti I you will also find info about the Sesebi temple of Akhenaten.
Link to online version of the book :
http://books.google.be/books?id=5UZLNtTtEMkC&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=sesebi+temple&source=bl&ots=e7OwlCNnNI&sig=0ega09LcRlleUADujdxcYIlr2oo&hl=nl&ei=nH6YSeSQHcOi-gbs4sCBCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA114,M1

Oriental Institute | Sesebi pictures
http://oi.uchicago.edu/gallery/pa_egypt_bees_sesebi/index.php/II4F5_72dpi.png?action=big&size=resize
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: