Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone read any of these books??...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Has anyone read any of these books??... Reply with quote

Has anyone read any of the following books? If so, do you know if there's much information on Old Kingdom monuments in any of them?

Arrow The Tomb in Ancient Egypt: Royal and Private Sepulchres from the Early Dynastic Period to the Romans - by Aidan Dodson
Arrow Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids - by D. Arnold
Arrow The Unis Cemetery at Saqqara: Tombs of Iynefert and Ihy (Reused by Idut) - by Naguib Kanawati and M. Abder-Raziq
Arrow The Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt - by Richard H. Wilkinson
Arrow The Art and Architecture of Ancient Egypt - by W. S. Smith
Arrow Egyptian Temples - by Margaret A. Murray

These are the only books I could find that seem remotely what I might be looking for. Confused Any help would be much appreciated. Pray

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone read any of these books??... Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
Has anyone read any of the following books? If so, do you know if there's much information on Old Kingdom monuments in any of them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "monuments" and "much", D_o_S, so I don't know if this will help, but I can say that The Tomb in Ancient Egypt, co-authored by Salima Akram, and Wilkinson's Complete Temples contain drawings, plans, and blurbs about various Old Kingdom structures. I certainly consider both books to contain much information about this topic.

Elsewhere we've already talked about Pyramids specifically, but books like Verner's The Pyramids, Lehner's The Complete Pyramids, and Romer's The Great Pyramid include information on Old Kingdom material.

I hope this was kinda sorta in the direction you were looking.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Bob, you've been a massive help! Cool I already have the three books on pyramids that you mentioned from working on a previous assignment, so I plan to re-read portions of those books for my current work. My current assignment is asking me to discuss monuments of the Old Kingdom, which is very vague, so I'm trying to gather as much material on Old Kingdom monuments and architecture as I can. The Tomb in Ancient Egypt and Complete Tombs both look like excellent books, so I'll definitely take your advice and get those two. Wink If you think of anything else let me know. Very Happy

Thanks again. notworthy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see that, Kmt_sesh? I suckered D_o_S into buying some books! Payback for what she did to us!

Seriously, though. I've really enjoyed Hieratic Inscriptions From the Tomb of Tutankhamun, and it's not nearly as expensive at the two you're buying, D_o_S. I do hope you like them and that you find them useful for your coursework and enjoyment.

If you don't, feel free to send the bill to our friend in Chicago. But not until after I see him on Saturday!

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
Neferseshat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone read any of these books??... Reply with quote

Dear DOS,

I just finished Murray's Egyptian Temple, which introduces 48 AE temples, mostly from NK and later period, including the structure of each building. If you are interested in buildings, it must be a great book to you! However, it's a difficult thing for me to read without many illustrations. Embarassed
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I have those two books D_o_S and I think you will not regret getting those. I really like both of them. They are both a bit more on the general overview side of things. But lots of interesting information.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Complete Temples and I think it's arguably the best of the "Complete" books that Thames and Hudson has published (though how "complete" can they be, really??).

I don't have the Dodson/Ikram one yet, but it's high on my to-buy list. Can't miss with those authors...
timmytriga4
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: WHATS A GOOD BOOK TO START WITH Reply with quote

Smile
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WHATS A GOOD BOOK TO START WITH Reply with quote

timmytriga4 wrote:
Smile

I think you'd do well to start with Barbara Mertz's Temples, Tombs and Hieroglyphs and also her Red Land, Black Land. Both are recently revised (2007ish), and she's a terrific writer.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone! Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: