Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutankhamun solar beliefs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Tutankhamun solar beliefs Reply with quote

Any interpretations on his crown on the golden overlaid throne? He looks likes he a little older than the age they give for the name change/move/restoration stela ..... but there is still signs of Aten and isn't the crown he's wearing representative of Mandulis?

Does anyone have any evidence/ideas on how this went over with the people who wanted total restoration of Amun-Re's power and priesthood? Even though he started the temple economies again, I wonder if anyone might have had a problem.

Do we KNOW anything about Tutankhamun's personal beliefs?

ANY help would be appreciated. Razz
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his crown is known as the Hemhem crown or triple atef crown.

It may have originated during the reign of Akhenaten. Akhenaten is shown wearing that crown and Nefertiti is shown with a smaller version.

I can't remember what the crown represents, but some reference to a sungod seems reasonable.

The throne you mention may have been made very early in the reign and if I remember correctly, Tutankhamen started out being called Tutankh(u)aten and was named that during the first 3 to 4 years of his reign.

The way he looks (older like you mention) may not mean anything as this is most likely supposed to depict some ideal image of the King and Queen.

The fact that the names are changed show that the people behind the return to the older ways would have prevailed. I guess they could not really change the depiction to the Aten without destroying the throne, but then again they never banned the Aten. They just put him "back in his place" so to say. Back in the pantheon with the rest of them.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tutankhamun solar beliefs Reply with quote

chillie wrote:
Any interpretations on his crown on the golden overlaid throne? He looks likes he a little older than the age they give for the name change/move/restoration stela ..... but there is still signs of Aten and isn't the crown he's wearing representative of Mandulis?

It's very possible that the "Golden Throne" of Tutankhamun is a reworked throne from the Amarna period, and did not originally belong to Tutankhamun. It is clear the item is reworked and in fact was in the process of still being reworked when it was placed in Tutankhamun's tomb.

On the throne, the king depicted is shown wearing a Triple Atef crown (Egyptian: /hmhm/, 'the roaring one'), which was sometimes worn by Akhenaten and is closely associated with the Amarna period (Goebs 2000: 324). The fact that the imagery of the king and queen "cut through" the arms of the Aten deity indicates the scene has been altered, and the crowns were added later (Reeves 1990: 184).

chillie wrote:
Does anyone have any evidence/ideas on how this went over with the people who wanted total restoration of Amun-Re's power and priesthood? Even though he started the temple economies again, I wonder if anyone might have had a problem.

Do we KNOW anything about Tutankhamun's personal beliefs?

ANY help would be appreciated. Razz

We know nothing about Tutankhamun's personal beliefs by text or imagery, but the alteration of the throne and other issues (such as changing of the king's and queen's names, for example), indicate a "turning back" to the old traditional religious beliefs by the king.

While possibly these changes were political moves suggested by others, it is noteworthy that Tutankhamun did not move from Amarna until about Year 1 or 2 of his reign. Yet, while there in Amarna, as Tutankhaten, the king is represented adoring Amun and Mut on a stela at Amarna (See Murnane and Meltzer 1995: 211, No. 97). This imagery preceded the Restoration Stela of approximately Year 2/3 of Tutankhamun's reign, when he issued it from the family palace in Memphis.

Reference:

Goebs, K. 2000. Crowns. In D. B. Redford,Ed., The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, 1: 321-316. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Murnane, W. J. and E. S. Meltzer. 1995. Texts from the Amarna Period in Egypt. Society of Biblical Literature: Writings from the Ancient World Series 5. S. B. Parker. Atlanta: Scholars Press.

Reeves, N. 1990. The Complete Tutankhamun: The King - The Tomb - The Royal Treasure. London: Thames and Hudson.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

I've always imagine the reconciliation as difficult, but maybe that's just me modernizing things.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing that we should remember is that Tutankhamen was a child when the restoration began. I'm quite sure that a child would not have such grandiose plans, and am quite sure that all the "step backwards" were careful planning by his advisers, one of whom was Aye, who became Pharaoh on Tut's death.
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not quite the same, but I had a jewish friend whose parents divorced at 11 and her mom converted them to catholicism.

She is agnostic now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: