Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Into the Bent Pyramid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Into the Bent Pyramid? Reply with quote

From Yahoo! news wrote:
Archaeologists believe the pyramid-builders changed their minds while constructing it out of fear the whole structure might collapse because the sides were too steep.

The pyramid is entered through a cramped 80 meter-long tunnel that opens into an immense vaulted chamber. From there, passageways lead to other rooms including one that has cedar wood beams believed to have been imported from ancient Lebanon.

Hawass said archaeologists believe the 4th dynasty founder Pharaoh Sneferu's burial chamber lies undiscovered inside the pyramid.

The inner chambers of the nearby Red pyramid, also built by Sneferu, are already accessible to visitors. Hawass said several other nearby pyramids, including one with an underground labyrinth from the Middle Kingdom, would also be opened in the next year.

"It is amazing because of a maze of corridors underneath this pyramid the visit will be unique," said Hawass, about the pyramid of Amenhemhat III, who ruled during Egypt's 12th dynasty from 1859-1813 BC.

"Twenty-five years ago, I went to enter this pyramid, and I was afraid I would never come back, and I had to ask the workmen to tie ropes around my leg so I wouldn't lose my way," he recalled.

Full text of story here

Uh... can I ask the obvious question? Is this safe???

Also, I'm extremely dubious that Sneferu would have chosen to have been buried in the 'Bent' Pyramid rather than the 'Red.' (Frankly, I'm surprised they even bothered to finish the 'Bent' ...)
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this very interesting. It has many photographs of the interior:

http://www.guardians.net/egypt/cyberjourney/dahshur/bentpyramid/bent_pyramid_interior.htm

One of the unique features of this pyramid is its two sets of burial chambers. Many Egyptologists, Dr. Hawass among them, think that Sneferu was buried in the Bent, in the lesser known and later found burial chamber.
DaveB
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've actually been able to get in for a year or so, the guards will happily open the main door for you. Although there are no lights. So take a torch. There are very few visitors there at the moment so it's a good place to visit.

There is a big wooden structure leading to the main door that feels a lot less safe than the actual pyramid! You are relieved to reach the main door! I guess it's pretty safe although not as safe at other structures (Red pyramid feels very safe)...but it's been there a long time so I guess you would be very unlucky for it to collapse on you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: