Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sphinx head only...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I don't know if I see a direct connection between Atenism and the Great Sphinx itself. It has been speculated that Amunhotep IV (well before he became Akhenaten) was schooled in the temples of Heliopolis, so he no doubt was personally familiar with the Sphinx at Giza, but the religion he developed as "Atenism" is much broader and more complex than that.

In early symbolism of Atenism the Aten is depicted as Re-Horakhty. At the time it was simply a more conventional and recognizable way to depict the sun disk. I can't say that Atenism grew out of the god Re-Horakhty, though. Again, the Aten as a deity or form of Re had already been around for a long time, and Re-Horakhty was a separate manifestation. Eventually even Re-Horakhty fades away from Akhenaten's repertoire of imagery, and the Aten became simply a disk with streaming rays ending in little hands.

Yes, yes... you have brought to my mind that I have been placing way too much importance on the development of the deity itself, I am thinking now it is of much greater import what Aten became through Akhnaton. I had started to think more deeply about the development and possible sources of the Aten in one of the Amarna threads, thankfully kylejustin stopped me in my tracks. It is what Akhnaton created that is important, it is his perception of life, love and the Universe that matters, not the small stuff I think

That he existed (and when) is what matters, that he is a subject of historical fact matters, what he created as "God-Concept" matters. And this is where I need to focus.

Thank you for your responses to my wandering mind, you bring me clarity. Sorry I dragged this thread off-topic

I now need to understand if Akhnaton truly acted and insisted and demanded that he be sole intermediary between the people (those whom he sought to influence) and Aten, or if he genuinely saw himself as more of a teacher. I understand that he appointed a high priest of Aten at Amarna, I know this is off-thread-topic but do we have a name for this high priest?
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my last question please... I tend to type as I think Embarassed Panehesy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: