Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got another one too... This one is about death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandi
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Got another one too... This one is about death Reply with quote

Ok, this may sound weird, but i would like to know more about Egyptian death.... As of recently some kindly person explained something to me that has started my brain playing with the idea of death or rather one's after life being more of a status thing.....

I know initially only the king had such an after life or so my text books indicate, then.... Osiris got all trendy and stuffs... At which point, they became pinkos where death was concerned....? Except... there were still differences between royal death and non royal death??? Please parfon my shameful ignorance. I am curious to hear more about what we understand of the common after life.... and stuff...

Also, i am guessing my understanding of royal death is also somehow.... lacking in the details.... As it is largely based on a simple discription in my text books....

Then there was Akhenaten, who ofcourse, changed all that and something else came to be where one could only have an after life through his divinity???

What happened after he kicked the bucket? I assume they went back to their old beliefs with some minor changes???

Oh! This makes me have other questions too and since i am asking about death... I guess i will ask this as well here... Nubia and death... Was there a connection of beliefs on death in Egypt and those in Nubia? Well i guess duh obviously... But i dunno i am just hmmm interested in understand them better too...

Well if anyone knows anything which i am sure many do, atleast alot more than i do, Embarassed I would be interested in hearing about it if you all don't mind talking about it.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. Sadly enough I don't know the answer Very Happy

My guess would be though that the king (and possibly the queen?) being divine meant they would rejoin the realm of the gods after death?

In this sense royalty was different I guess.

But aren't there already tombs dating back to the second dynasty for higher ranking officials? I'm not sure what their expectations (if any) would be of the afterlife.

Maybe others know more?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ancient Egyptians believed in the afterlife and spent their lives preparing for it. Pharaohs built the finest tombs, collected the most elaborate funerary equipment, and were mummified in the most expensive way. Others were able to provide for their afterlives according to their earthly means. Regardless of their wealth, however, they all expected the afterlife to be an idealized version of their earthly existence.
Khepesh
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, though lacking as it may be, the afterlife of an Ancient Egyptian was very similar to a second life on Earth, minus a lot of the hardships like war and pestilence. You still had to work, though there were spells in which you could call on your servant shabti(spelling?) dolls to do your bidding.
More or less what I've concluded, from brief informative readings about the "book of caverns" and the "book of coming forth" is that although both the average peasant and the Pharoah himself shared a similar fate in the afterlife, the pharoah stood a much better chance (at least according to his priestly advisors,) to make it through the process before the somewhat paradisiacal afterlife unscathed. I'm sure the majority of you know about the threat of a second, and I assume final death in which you'd decend into nonexistance. Well the "book of caverns" as I've come to understand, is a funerary text reserved strictly for royalty and perhaps nobles, and names countless demons/monsters in which the king had to overcome. Of course knowing the name alone is half the battle, as the Egyptians believed the true name held power over the bearer. As far as I know (although some may have leaked out to the general public, similar to the way movies are readily available to anyone with the internet Wink ) the restrictions of these texts were more than likely just priestly propaganda to make the king feel more secure in passing and were more or less just more refined and detailed versions of some of the passages of the common "book of coming forth" or as it's more popularly known today, "the book of the dead."

On a further note, I was wondering if anyone knew of any credible online sources in which I might gain further insight on Ancient Egyptian religion including rituals on death such as the afore mentioned books. Also an online site in which the actual non-translated nor transliterated versions of any ceremonial texts, particularly that of the book of coming forth would be greatly appreciated.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pharaoh was believed to spend eternity with the gods, i think old kingdom kings expected to spend their afterlife with ra in the boat as he sailed over earth during the day and fought apophis in the underworld at night. he was still expected to work though, that's why even royals have shabti's.

as for everyone else, i think khepesh has said all i know on the subect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: