Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cleopatra selene's mausoleum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: cleopatra selene's mausoleum Reply with quote

i have been watching rome recently, and wanted to know if atia was anything like the real woman. after reading up on wikipedia about her immediate family, i came across augustus, sister octavia. i knew she raised some of cleoptra and mark antony's children, so i looked them up.

cleopatra selene married juba II of numidia. they were given mauretania to govern as roman client monarchs. which i also knew. what i didnt know, was they built a mausoleum on the main road between algiers and cherchell in algeria. and that it still stands, though the arabs through the centuries have tried to pull it down. and the french have used it as target practise. it is a sturdy stone monument, much like the pantheon in rome, without the porch on it. apparently it is based on octavian's mausoleum at mars field in rome.

has anyone ever read of this? does anyone know if they were ever buried there? it was considered by them to be a royal mausoleum, much like the soma in alexandria. the page says they were, but says nothing about when or how. it doesnt say who is buried there, or if they have ever excavated it, or if funeral equipment has ever shown up on the black market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mausoleum_of_Mauretania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra_Selene_II
starguard
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this, they were.

Quote:
Augustus restored Juba II as the king of Numidia between 29 and 27 BC. Juba II established Numidia as an ally of Rome. Between 26-20 BC, Augustus arranged for him to marry Cleopatra Selene (II), giving her a large dowry and appointing her queen. Cleopatra Selene Cleopatra Selene II (Her name in Greek Κλεοπατρα Σελινη) (25 December 40 BC - 6 AD) also known as Cleopatra VIII was the only daughter to the Ptolemaic Queen Cleopatra VII and Roman Triumvir Mark Antony. ...

Quote:

Between 19 AD - 21 AD, Juba II made his son Ptolemy co-ruler and Juba II died in 23 AD. Juba II was buried alongside his first wife in their mausoleum. Ptolemy reigned until 40 AD, when his second cousin the Emperor Caligula murdered him on a visit to Rome. Mauretania was annexed and became a province by Rome.

link: http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Juba-II
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked around a bit and via google books there is mention of the fact that this mausoleum is often attributed to Juba II and Cleopatra Selene.
(The world of Juba II and Kleopatra Selene: royal scholarship on Rome's African Frontier. By Duane W. Roller New York and London: Routledge, 2003.)

from what I gather the tomb is often attributed to Juba and Cleopatra Selene, but there is a small chance it could belong to Bochus II.

The author mentions that the mausoleum resembles one Augustus started in Rome a little while before Juba left Rome.

But I didn't see anything that indicated solid proof.

From what I have read it is not really known when Cleopatra Selene died. The years range from 5 AD to 6 or maybe even 7 AD. I think it is not known for sure where she was buried. She did die before Juba II as he seems to have remarried.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that. i did find it interesting that the sources dont mention burial equipment, and i didnt see any inscriptions or wall decorations in those photo's. i wonnder if they have any primary sources that indicate it was their tomb? or maybe they are just using roman sources?
starguard
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that they were both buried in that tomb, and soon after it was raided by tomb raiders who removed their bodies and disgarded them in some unknown place.

I don't have a source for this information, so it is highly possible that I may be wrong about this. Embarassed
Sitesa
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one blah looking tomb....inside and outside.
Leena
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating! I had no idea this tomb existed. I just finished reading Joyce Tyldesley's book about Cleopatra (took it up partly because I was/am painting an oil painting of Cleopatra and Caesarion on Denderah temple wall and wanted to know more about my subject.). Before reading that book I did not have any knowledge about Cleopatra Selene's fate.

Must have been so concentrated in the more ancient Egyptian history I never really paid attention to the Ptolemys much Embarassed

Leena Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: