Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertari's tomb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Nefertari's tomb Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else here has ever visited Nefertari's tomb?

I visited it last Saturday and was rendered speechlees. Shocked It is just so beautiful. Very people I know would have actually heard of it Rolling Eyes
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it was in 1995 that the Getty Museum did a massive restoration project on the tomb.
Over the years since it's discovery in 1904, the tomb had suffered quite a bit at the hands of the tourists. The Getty restoration was very carefully done, and I understand it is now in its original condition.
It is considered to be the apex of New Kingdom art, truly a showcase of the ancient Egyptian tomb-artists.
Unfortunately, when the tomb was opened there was not much left of Nefertari's mummy.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe her knees are in the turin museum.
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking amazing and my understanding is that it was cleaned and restored and not touched up - though it does look as if it was only painted recently. The colours are so bright it's incredible. I heard talk that there are plans to close it forever and that no members of the public will see it again. I'm not sure if or when this will happen.

Ptahhotep
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard theyve been saying that for years. ive seen a book on the restoration of her tomb, some parts of the paintings were only being held to the walls with masking tape!!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the restoration, the Getty advised the SCA to close the tomb to the public, saying that the rise in humidity, the touching of the paintings, (which is strictly forbidden!) and other actions by the tourists would cause damage again.
But the SCE, in their wisdom (and seeing a cash-cow about to be lost) opted instead to limit visitors and keep the tomb open.
I understand that the predictions of the Getty are being realized as being accurate! The SCA is frantically trying to think of a way to preserve the tomb, and even closing it has become an accepted idea.
In Best Possible Worlds, the tomb would be closed and a replica opened for the toursts--they more than likely wouldn't know the difference! But I doubt very much that would happen.
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing how tourists behave in the other tombs often frustrates me. Thankfully cameras are not even allowed in the Valley of the Kings or Queens so that frustration has gone. With regards to Nefertari's tomb they only allowed 13 people in at a time when I was there although by the time of my group I think we were a little less.

A replica of the tomb sounds like a good idea and would probably cost less than trying to maintain the up keep of the original. I believe there is already talk of replicas being made of other tombs (though can't remember which ones now).

Ptahhotep
~Ankhesenamun~
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one of the other tombs to be closed was that of Tutankhamun. I read about it in an article back in October. I've been searching for it ever since but I can't quite seem to stumble back upon it. I hope it doesn't close anytime soon. I'd like to go into the real thing, not some replica!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: