Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ba-Pef

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wepwawet29
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Ba-Pef Reply with quote

While reading Jan Assmann's Death and Salvation in Ancient Egypt, I came across a reference to fairly enigmatic god known as Ba-Pef. In one of Assmann's endnotes, he mentioned that Ba-Pef apparently had a cult of his own. I did some research and learned that some Old Kingdom queens had been styled 'Priestesses of Ba-Pef' (e.g. Hetepheres II and Meresankh III), but I couldn't find a record of men serving in his cult. Does anyone know of any male clergy of Ba-Pef? Also, do we have any idea of where Ba-Pef's cult center (if he even had one) might have been?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

Ba-Pef was a minor underworld god in Egyptian mythology. The name literally means that Ba, which is roughly understandable as that soul. Ba-Pef is commonly portrayed as an obscure malevolent deity known from the Old Kingdom in which he may have enjoyed a priesthood. According to references among the Pyramid Texts he had a cult following and was associated in some way with pain or spiritual anguish affecting the pharaoh.

But, ufortunately, there was no mention of the site of any cult he may have had.
Wepwawet29
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've been able to find about Ba-Pef so far indicates that he was a clearly malevolent deity like Apophis rather than an ambiguous deity like Set, so it strikes me as kind of odd that he would have an official cult, and that senior royal ladies would be his priestesses.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a footnote at page 15 in

William Kelly Simpson : Giza Mastabas Vol. 1 - The Mastaba of Queen Mersyankh III.. - Boston : Museum of Fine Arts, 1974

is an literature tip for Ba-Pef : Fairman. - ASAE 43 (1943) - p. 309 .

Greetings, Lutz.
Wepwawet29
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lutz! With any luck I'll be able to track that article down. It's a shame Simpson didn't provide the name of Fairman's article. That would've made my life a bit easier.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wepwawet29 wrote:
... With any luck I'll be able to track that article down. It's a shame Simpson didn't provide the name of Fairman's article. That would've made my life a bit easier.

" Notes on the alphabetic signs employed in the hieroglyphic inscriptions of the temple of Edfu " (pp. 193 - 318) ... Could have a look inside, it brings nothing to answer your question, forget it ... Crying or Very sad

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wepwawet29 wrote:
Everything I've been able to find about Ba-Pef ...

See also Christian Leitz : Lexikon der ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen / 1-8. - Leuven [u.a.] : Peeters [u.a.], 2002-2003.

Volume 2, page 680 :

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: