Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*cries* excuse the hormonal, personal rant.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It became a favorite joke--I could always tell something interesting was close by, there'd be bottles tossed around!

LOL That's too much. Just follow the trail of discarded plastic bottles to the best tourist stops in all of Egypt. I'd be tempted to carry a trash bag with me to police this mess, but I suppose one could not pack enough trash bags.

Visit my blog!
Nomad
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Visiting Egypt Reply with quote

Well on the food hygiene front.

I have been to Egypt more times than I have digits on my hands, and the best food to eat in Egypt is always the Local Cuisine. I have even been on Fellucca trips and had food which has been prepared on a couple of Paraffin stoves and it was the best food you could eat!!

You eat the muck they serve for Foreigners then you do run the risk of Tut's Trots at some point. And to be perfectly honest nobody gets away with it Scot free all of the time.

I have even been Swimming in the Nile and I never suffered any after effects. Otherwise I might not be here to tell the tale. So don't panic! The people who have never been. You will believe me. And do it soon is my advice. The romance of the country is slowly being lost in the name of "Progress". I know, as I have been there over many years now and the difference is staggering on every trip!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming in the Nile? I actually would love to do that, because it is the Nile after all...but I've heard so much about how unhygienic, dirty and full of nasty germs/parasites it is, but maybe that's a myth? Or maybe you are lucky and have a tough immune system (something which i'm pretty sure I don't have!) I'm confused now...that water would look so tempting on such a hot day...

I was always told not to eat dairy products or meat (well I'm veggie so that doesn't count) during the first few days in a country like Egypt, same as drinking the water.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. She is going to Egypt after all, but was told by a friend (or her mother, can't remember) that going into the great pyramid is 'not recommended' because it's 'boring' Confused because of the lack of inscriptions and paintings in the chambers. But does that really make it boring and unrecommended? Apparently it's quite an experience to go into the King's Chamber and to see the amazing proportions and timelessness of the place. it may not be as 'razzle dazzle' as the painted tombs of the Valley of the Kings, but I'm sure it's worth a visit. Of course, it's unrecommended for claustrophobics because of the cramped spaces and passages, but she's not claustrophobic at all.

What do you think?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you know what I think...who cares! I'd love to go in there and explore. It's one of the world's most famous historical monuments, and just to be able to touch it and enter it would be thrilling. I hear that at any given time, one of the three pyramids is closed to allow it to "rest" from the tourists, so in the end it may be Khufu's pyramid that's not accessible while she's there. Confused

Visit my blog!
janjakk
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
One of the best investments I've ever made was the purchase of an incredible, small, water filter before one of my first trips to Egypt. As I say, it is very small and easy to pack. Every night, I would fill the basin in the bathroom with tap water, and using my filter, would suck up tap water and tranfer it to a plastic bottle I always had with me. Sucking up the tap water forced it through a filter before it was expelled into the bottle--so I had an unlimited supply of bottled water!
Using a bit of common sense is basic to helping the system get by with such a change in diet. I am always very careful to NEVER eat anything that has any type of liquid--soups, drinks with ice, etc. I avoid salads--lettuce is washed in tap water. Tea is o.k. The water is boiled.
I've never heard that about injecting water into fruit and veggies, sesen, but it seems correct--have to stop eating fruit there! I always thought things I could peel (bananas, oranges) were o.k.
I never get anything to eat from a street vendor. Some of the things look really good--but some of it looks like sure poison!
Of couse, the longer you are there the less the food adversly affects you. On my last trip I was ther over a month, and the last week could eat practically anything!
With a little common sense, it's quite easy to get along all right digestive-wise in Egypt.

Spam removed by admin

elakazal
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Supposedly, Cairo's water is safe... Reply with quote

I was told this by several people who travel there routinely. It tastes pretty bad, so I never actually drank it, but I did brush my teeth with it for several days.

As one of my guidebooks said (I'm paraphrasing slightly, probably): "Many people will tell you that the water in Cairo is safe to drink...but really, have you seen Cairo?"

I try not to be too stupid about what I eat and drink when I travel, but besides the obvious (drinking river water, eating uncooked meat, etc) I long ago just decided not to stress about it and just enjoy the experience. It's so easy to get caught up in all the things you have to watch out for and miss out on experiences.

I've made two trips to Egypt and eaten lots of things off stands in the street, local ahwas, market stalls, etc, and countless trips to Mexico where I've done the same, I have yet to really be burned.

Getting back to the original topic of the post, the whole not being taken on the trip...if you want to go, go by yourself! It's not a difficult place to travel around (I've heard some complaints from solo women of being given a bit of a hard time, but most seemed to have been able to deflect it, and honestly it's probably safer than whatever country we call home for most of us), and once you get there, everything is dirt cheap, particularly if you don't require luxury. The most expensive hotel I stayed in was ŁE45, about US$8 a night, the least was about half that. None were fancy, but all were clean and adequate. Food is dirt cheap, particularly if you're willing to eat street food.

The attractions aren't terribly expensive either...it seemed like most were about ŁE50, I think the Great Pyramid was maybe twice that, some smaller things were less.

Really the only thing pricey about a trip to Egypt (if you don't need luxury, that is) is the plane ticket, and while from where I am (the west coast of the US) that's a small fortune, it's not horrible from the UK (I'm only guessing that's where you're from by the use of "mum" and "university" instead of "college", but I could be wrong).

If you want it to happen, make it happen!
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janjakk wrote:
Osiris II wrote:
One of the best investments I've ever made was the purchase of an incredible, small, water filter before one of my first trips to Egypt. As I say, it is very small and easy to pack. Every night, I would fill the basin in the bathroom with tap water, and using my filter, would suck up tap water and tranfer it to a plastic bottle I always had with me. Sucking up the tap water forced it through a filter before it was expelled into the bottle--so I had an unlimited supply of bottled water!
Using a bit of common sense is basic to helping the system get by with such a change in diet. I am always very careful to NEVER eat anything that has any type of liquid--soups, drinks with ice, etc. I avoid salads--lettuce is washed in tap water. Tea is o.k. The water is boiled.
I've never heard that about injecting water into fruit and veggies, sesen, but it seems correct--have to stop eating fruit there! I always thought things I could peel (bananas, oranges) were o.k.
I never get anything to eat from a street vendor. Some of the things look really good--but some of it looks like sure poison!
Of couse, the longer you are there the less the food adversly affects you. On my last trip I was ther over a month, and the last week could eat practically anything!
With a little common sense, it's quite easy to get along all right digestive-wise in Egypt.

Spam removed by admin

Since Kevin intervened here by removing some spam, I have a question to ask him before I post an advice: "Kevin, would you be so kind an PM me what the nature of this spam was, before I burn my fingers on the keybord?" Thanks, and sorry to bother you...

I too have never, so far been to Egypt, would love to go, however my BP is qwuite high, and I think I should be careful; I already had a warning... BTW: What languages are spoken (I guess French, which I don't speak), can anyone fill me in on that? (Nomad?) Thanks!!!
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was someone advertising water filters for sale.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
It was someone advertising water filters for sale.

Tanks, Kevin; I was afraid of that and I might have done the same, if I hadn't been warned by your intervention; the only thing I will say now is that there are small (would fit on a faucet and very potent water filters available)
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What languages are spoken (I guess French, which I don't speak), can anyone fill me in on that?

Arabic and English mainly. Although it only takes until the first pylon of Karnak before you hear French, German, Italian, Chinese etc etc.

There are guides for all languages, so i would never foresee anyone having too much trouble in Egypt.

Smile

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Toth Smile

Because Arabic & English are taught in all the schools they are widely spoken. German is fairly common but we find English is the universal language so you should not have any problems.

The temperature in winter is very pleasant for most Europeans so your BP would probably be fine, just make sure you bring your meds with you. You can buy most in Egypt anyway. As a Dutch friend living in Luxor said to us "Life is not a rehearsal" so try to visit if you can, I'm sure you won't regret it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: