Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swimming in the Nile!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Swimming in the Nile! Reply with quote

I'm really curious about this...I've heard a lot of reports of tourists who do those felluca cruises swimming in the Nile, and seen a lot of pictures. It's shown as the only way to wash on a bathroom-less boat. (Personally those 3-night felluca cruises do not appeal to me, I'm not a camping person, I like having a bathroom and other luxuries.) But I always thought that swimming in the Nile was not safe, that it is very unhygeinic mainly because of the risk of bilharzia, because of unclean water and pollution.

So is it really safe to swim in it after all or is it something very risky? Has anyone here done it? The idea of swimming in the Nile appeals to me romantically, but not realistically. I'm not sure if having jabs before going to Egypt would protect you from any river diseases either. I am seriously tempted to just touch it's waters though (and wash my hands afterwards).
Khuy-n-inpw
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isisinacrisis wrote:
Has anyone here done it?

I went swimming in the Nile, in 1977, near the crocodile shrine of Kom Ombo. The water was fine back then, and absolutely nothing bad happened to me.

I have heard stories like those you mention, Isisinacrisis, so my advice would be to be reasonably cautious and to get the recommended injections before leaving the UK.

toothy2
DaveB
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim above Luxor, I've done it several times and am still alive. Ask a felluca captain to take you to banana island(thats not an island) and go for a cool swim on the way home Smile

Swimming around Cairo is a huge no, there are dead donkey/horses/cows every few meters. You can see all the sewage pipes just leading straight to the river.

Hope this help
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest if it were me I would only swim further south at around Aswan. Certainly not at Luxor or north of it.
Waste water, alot of rubbish, and a great variety and quantity of dead animals end up in the Nile. There is also a large number of cruise boats who flush out waste into the Nile. Broken bottles, metal and other sharp objects also are hidden in the mud.
Bilhazia is a very real problem in Egypt and thats one thing no vaccine will protect you against. But it is more a shallow slow water problem due to snail hosts. The Luxor locals I've spoken to about swimming in the canals and the river say they go up the the hospital once a year to get 'medicine' because of the water.

Quote:
I am seriously tempted to just touch it's waters though (and wash my hands afterwards).

Smile It is wonderful when on the boats to run your hands or feet through the water. But I do wash my hands afterwards - but I did that anyway after being out.
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been tempted to swim in the Nile especially up in Cairo (though you are lucky to get me swimming in a heated swimming pool Laughing )

Banana Island is lovely...ate several bananas and sugar cane there last year.....that was the life....
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khuy-n-inpw wrote:
I went swimming in the Nile, in 1977, near the crocodile shrine of Kom Ombo. The water was fine back then, and absolutely nothing bad happened to me.

I was hoping kmt_sesh would have said that.
Abundant the replies could have been... (snif)

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
chillie
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh i know this is an old thread but you guys are killing me. I would love to dive in, damn the snails (but my kids can't. In fact, they are too little, 6 yrs and nine months). Or at least a nice pool nearby, right? mmm.... non chlorinated infinity pool just south of luxor, east or west side.... (keep dreaming)

i'm just a stir crazy cold jersey girl waiting to hit the beach.... sadly it's 27 degrees today, and I have 3 months left...

sigh....
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2008 i saw a dead cow and a dead dog in the Nile during a 7 day cruise.

The pollution from the cruise ships in unmissable. In Luxor i saw so many plastic bottles and tourist waste littering the Nile. That was sad to see.

Also the oil slicks put me off swimming, although after a few beers i would jump in just for the laugh. If i get something, then at least i would have a free momento of my vist. Although not as nice as a rug, statue or book!

I may have a swim next time- or more likely a paddle!!!!

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: