Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want your body to be mummified when you die?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lgeare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Want your body to be mummified when you die? Reply with quote

Do you know any one who is terminally ill who would
consider donating their body to science... to be mummified?

There is a documentary film being made about just that. For more info email me. This is a groundbreaking scientific study!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're joking, right?

As a matter of fact, Bob Brier did a mummification project several years ago that was one of the best documented and correct procedures I've seen...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that after Brier completed the project, he started to get letters around the world from people who wanted to be mummified when they died. He could've made a tidy profit, but as a scientist he declined.

The experiment was almost a perfect success, too. If anyone knows how to do it, it would be Brier.

I have to wonder if the process Lgeare mentions is actually based on ancient Egyptian traditions. Someone once asked me if there was a way to have one's pet mummified when it died, so I looked it up on the internet. Lo and behold, there it was. It was called mummification, but when I read the details, this version mostly involved chemicals that had nothing to do with ancient Egyptian embalming.

But picture it: all of a sudden, thousands of people are being mummified in the ancient Egyptian way. What happens next? A big room at the Smithsonian for modern mummies? Museums acquiring "discount" mummies because they're not actually ancient? A conversation piece in your living room? Laughing

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a sect, in Utah of all places, where mummification is a Big Deal. They specialize in (mostly) animals, but the mummification of humans is also available. (For the right price!) You can pay up to $50,000 for their "services". That price supplies you with a full facial mask--not gold, btw, and a coffin to be displayed. They suggest it makes a great conversation-piece for the living room...
Anpu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Brier's project was designed to answer unknown questions about the process of mummification and was a one off - done with a healthy individual that had died of natural causes and had never undergone surgery.

While no institute would mummify your remains if asked, I do know that they can give out the full 'recipe' for mummification... Laughing

(I think it's an awesome idea!)
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anpu wrote:
While no institute would mummify your remains if asked, I do know that they can give out the full 'recipe' for mummification... Laughing

(I think it's an awesome idea!)

Apparently you are not familiar with the Summum organisation, located in Salt Lake City, Utah.

According to their website, the current costs for Mummification services are $67,000* within the continental United States.

* The price reflects the cost for the mummification of the body under normal circumstances. It is subject to change. The price may increase for special circumstances, such as very large adults, etc. Summum reserves the right to refuse Mummification services (rites) under certain conditions.

Bizarre.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I posted above, neseret. I mentioned the Summemum Society, but I couldn't remember the name.
You stated the price is now $67,000--it must have gone up a bit! Maybe they are using better quality materials--but I'm sure the mask is still not gold! Laughing
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

I would find it rather interesting, but I'm an Agnostc (I don't believe in god(s) unless given evidence) so (forgive me for going all Ancient Egyptian here) it would be rather a waste of time as I will never get into the "Afterlife" anyway (if I believed such things).
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
I would find it rather interesting, but I'm an Agnostc (I don't believe in god(s) unless given evidence) so (forgive me for going all Ancient Egyptian here) it would be rather a waste of time as I will never get into the "Afterlife" anyway (if I believed such things).

How can you say that as the protector of Pharao? The god that had to protect him from evil magic. So you don't believe in yourself? [cynism] Well that is a good start, a AE god in self denial [/cynism]
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you say that as the protector of Pharao? The god that had to protect him from evil magic. So you don't believe in yourself? [cynism] Well that is a good start, a AE god in self denial [/cynism]

I may not understand what you mean but I thought Sobek kept the Nile flowing and the people safe from crocs.

Ha ha, I called myself "Sobek101" as I picked a name at random, but thanks for calling me a god anyway pharaohlol
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
Quote:

I may not understand what you mean but I thought Sobek kept the Nile flowing and the people safe from crocs.

Ha ha, I called myself "Sobek101" as I picked a name at random, but thanks for calling me a god anyway pharaohlol

Then this would be a good start
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

[/quote]Then this would be a good start[/quote]

Well they do say "You learn something new everyday".
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
Then this would be a good start[/quote]

Well they do say "You learn something new everyday".[/quote]

Yes, they do say that , don't they; and in connection with the Egyptian Dreams Forum it's even true
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: It would be interesting! Reply with quote

Toth wrote:

Yes, they do say that , don't they; and in connection with the Egyptian Dreams Forum it's even true

That seems to be right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: