Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The deified Amenhotep I and his mother Ahmose-Nefertari.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: The deified Amenhotep I and his mother Ahmose-Nefertari. Reply with quote

We hear of the deified Amenhotep I and his mother in Deir el Medina.
I’m not sure why Amenhotep is the revered one? I would have thought that Ahmose, his father and the husband of Ahmose-Nefertari would be a much more impressive historical character.

Any idea why Amenhotep I was worshipped to such an extent?

There were apparently also several version of Amenhotep I being worshipped:
Amenhotep of the Village, Amenhotep of the Forecourt, Amenhotep of the Garden and supposedly some more.

Do any of you know more about the cult of Amenhotep I and his mother?
What is the difference between these different versions of Amenhotep?
Are they worshipped outside Deir-el-Medina (I think so but couldn't find anything as it was.)

In a book by Tyldesley I read about a statue of Amenhotep being carried through the necropolis. The god would actually pass judgment in legal matters! She mentions that according to a papyrus(?) there was a dispute between Merysekhmet and Kenna concerning some property. The statue stopped outside the tomb of Kaha (TT360) and from what I have read and heard the statue would move in certain direction. Forwards would mean yes, and backwards would mean no.

There’s also mention of oracles involving more than yes and no questions. If a list of suspects was read, the god would only respond to the guilty party.

Sounds interesting I must say Very Happy. Kind of like a human sized ouija board? Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about this subject, but how exactly did the statue move?
Quote:
Kind of like a human sized ouija board?

Laughing Maybe that's how. I can just imagine all the priests with their hands all over him.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyldesley writes that the statue of the god is sitting on a throne, wearing full regalia. He is carried on a litter carried by four priests.

So in reality it must have been the priests who made the movements and provided the oracle.
I don't think it's known exactly how it worked. Some of the information (or I should say description) comes from depictions in the tomb of a priest called Amenhotep (Theban tomb #19)
Queen of the Nile
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered why he was considered a god to such an extent, but perhaps that is just a mystery. It's true that the Ancient Egyptians sometimes picked gods for irrational reasons.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amenhotep I was the first Pharaoh who ordered his tomb in the rocks from the West Bank and the first one to build his temple of millions of years on the West Bank, north of Deir el-Bahari. Thus he became the protector of the Theban necropolis. The actual location of his tomb is not sure, some think its KV39 other suppose that his tomb could be in Dra' Abu el-Naga (tomb ANB). Documents dating from the time of Ramses IX, state his tomb was still intact those days, but they dont mention the location.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Amenhotep I was the first Pharaoh who ordered his tomb in the rocks from the West Bank and the first one to build his temple of millions of years on the West Bank, north of Deir el-Bahari. Thus he became the protector of the Theban necropolis. ...

It is a burial ground since Predynastic, there are also mud brick mastabas from the 4-th Dynasty. First king of Upper and Lower Egypt who build his tomb and "House for Million of Years" there was Nebhetepra Monthuhotep II., 11-th Dynasty, starting of the Middle Kingdom.

His predecessors, Antef I-III were local rulers of Thebes and parts of Upper Egypt. They build here tombs north of Deir el-Bahari. See : Old and Middle Kingdom Theban Tombs by Rasha Soliman (2009).

Amenhotep I. counts as the founder of the working-class settlement in Deir el-Medinah. Possibly this was the reason for the popularity of the king and his mother there.

Greetings, Lutz.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Amenhotep I. counts as the founder of the working-class settlement in Deir el-Medinah. Possibly this was the reason for the popularity of the king and his mother there.

Thanks Lutz, I wasnt sure about the foundation of Deir el-Medinah by Amenhotep I, so I didnt dare to mention it.

Its great when people help each other Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: