Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

damage to mummy KV21A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: damage to mummy KV21A Reply with quote

Was the damage to this mummy modern or ancient? If the damage was ancient, and current possibility of it being Ankhesenamen, it seems possible that at least 3 things could have led to this damage.
1. Being Ankhenatens daughter. Not going to win you much love no matter what.

2. If she was the queen of the Hittite letters, the powers that be, would brand her a traitor.

3. If it was her in the letters the humiliation it must have caused Aye personally may have been enough to kill/mutilate her after her usefulness was over.
While this is all quesses t seems at least a possibility if it is her remains, that some one would want her to pay with more then just her life. Just my 2 cents
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Herper,
It was done around 1826 by someone who left graffiti behind: the initials ME. It was reported clean by Belzoni, 1820, with two nude women lying on the ground with long hair and one arm flexed, each. I've been trying to find out if he said anything more.

It is odd that that happened to women who are possibly from the Amarna period. But I doubt they knew this might be the fact in 1826.

There is also the thought that the style and location of the tomb point to the women as being nurses of Hatshepsut instead.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds that KGV21a died around her forties. If she is Ankhesenamun, her pecadillo was possibly forgiven and she died in a "normal age" under Horemheb's reign. If the identification between Mutbenret-Mutnodjmet is real, maybe she counted with auntie's protection.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But now we know that these two mummies haveapparently the same mtDNA as Tut&co. It would be quite unlikely that women from Hatshepsut`s time even if somehow related to the then royal family would share mtDNA with royals after so many generations.

I don`t know why they suggest nurses. According to Belzoni they definitely had bent arms a trace of which is still visible, so they must have been Great Royal Wives. Together with the genetic evidence obtained so far I think that Ankhesenamun (or Nefertiti or Meritaten) is not such a bad choice after all.

It seems that there was no visible damage done to them, at least nothing that would point to any "pay back" for being related to Akhenaten or for being a traitor in Ankhesenamun`s case.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
It sounds that KGV21a died around her forties. If she is Ankhesenamun, her pecadillo was possibly forgiven and she died in a "normal age" under Horemheb's reign. If the identification between Mutbenret-Mutnodjmet is real, maybe she counted with auntie's protection.

Both KV21 mummies are given an age range from 25 to 40 years. So if one is Ankhesnamun is one of them she could also have died shortly after Tut`s death (but I am far from creating a murder scenario here).
I don`t give much (and never have) to the identification of Nefertiti`s sister with Horemheb`s wife. Nothing really points to them being the same person.

It`s a pity that their heads are not preserved to determine if they had an unusual shape like KV55.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote
Quote:
I don't know why they suggest nurses. According to Belzoni they definitely had bent arms a trace of which is still visible, so they must have been Great Royal Wives. Together with the genetic evidence obtained so far I think that Ankhesenamun (or Nefertiti or Meritaten) is not such a bad choice after all.

But now we know that these two mummies have apparently the same mtDNA as Tut&co. It would be quite unlikely that women from Hatshepsut`s time even if somehow related to the then royal family would share mtDNA with royals after so many generations.

What I find interesting is that the nurse theory hasn't been entirely discarded in light of that fact. I heard (on that fictional TV show) that all the mtDNA is the same. That means AIII as well as Thuya. So it all depends on how inbred they were and for how long. I was curious about the blood type of KV21A, KV21B and KV35YL, but I couldn't find it on the web.

Quote:
It's a pity that their heads are not preserved to determine if they had an unusual shape like KV55.

Anneke put a picture here but it is tiny.

http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4857

If it's from some book, maybe it's rescannable so the face, at least, could be clearer. They were in perfect condition until some barbarian trashed them. It's such a great pity that all that stuff lay there for millennia, undisturbed, until a bunch of Neanderthals showed up and ripped it all to shreds.

It's also a pity that the promised release of all the DNA is apparently going to happen after 2013.

Here's Belzoni, 1820, from a Lutz link:

http://books.google.de/books?id=JkkXAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Narrative+of+the+operations+and+recent&source=gbs_book_similarbooks#v=onepage&q&f=false

but the page reference I had didn't match. Does anyone know where to find what else he wrote about them?
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you really heard anywhere that the release of more test results is delayed til 2013 or is this a rather desperate joke?
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was being funny, I thought. I am wondering if they will ever be released though.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m relieved to know it was a joke.
It was just the mentioning of a definite year that made me wonder if it was true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: