Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hawass hopes to find amarna tombs in valley of the monkeys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: hawass hopes to find amarna tombs in valley of the monkeys Reply with quote

this article is from hawass' site, im not sure how old it is. in it he claims reeves' survey of the valley of the kings revealed fissures, not tombs when hawass excavated there, including areas around tut's tomb.
they even demolished the antiquities office on site to find a tomb, but they didnt find one. they did find the workman's huts from the 19th dynasty near tuts tomb, originally discovered by carter.

Quote:
We are also excavating in the Valley of the Monkeys, which is right next to the Valley of the Kings. Our finds there included many ostraca and pottery from the time of Amenhotep III in front of his tomb. The most important things we found in the Valley of the Monkeys are four foundation deposits, each containing pottery, weapons, tools, animal bones and other artifacts. Kent Weeks has published that foundation deposits were not placed before the tomb was built, as they were with temple deposits, but were deposited after the construction. If we study all of the tomb foundation deposits in the Valley of the Kings, we find that some tombs have five deposits while others have four. Therefore, the discovery of four foundation deposits near each other in the Valley of the Monkeys indicates that there could be a tomb nearby, and we hope to find it. I would be very happy if it is the tomb of Ankhesenamun, the wife of Tutankhamun, who married King Ay after Tut’s death. Another exciting possibility is the tomb of Queen Tiye, the wife of Amenhotep III, whose mummy we have recently identified. Both of these queens would be likely to be buried in the Valley of the Monkeys, near the tombs of their husbands. We continue our excavations in this area in the hopes of revealing the secrets of this fascinating place.

obviously we dont know where the 18th dynasty queens were buried, but wasnt hatshepsut's queenly tomb near the valley of the monkeys, and what about thutmose III's syrian wives, weren't they in the vicinity as well? as far as i know, merytre hatshepsut was buried in the valley of the kings, and tiye and sitamun had interments planned in amenhotep III's tomb. it would be interesting if they excavated in the valley of the monkeys, and the queens too, i think they could have buried royalty in the queens valley as early as the 17th dynasty?

http://www.drhawass.com/blog/excavations-valley-kings
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: hawass hopes to find amarna tombs in valley of the monke Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
... article ... from hawass' site, ...
Quote:
" We are also excavating in the Valley of the Monkeys, which is right next to the Valley of the Kings. ... "

... wasnt hatshepsut's queenly tomb near the valley of the monkeys, and what about thutmose III's syrian wives, weren't they in the vicinity as well? ...

If Hawass is talking about a "Valley of the Monkeys" he ordinarily means the West Valley of the Valley of the Kings (tombs of Amenhotep III. and Aja, in the later are the pictures of baboons from the first hour of Amduat, giving that name by locals or early visitors to this valley).

The access to the valleys with the tombs of Hatschepsut as queen and the foreign spouses of Thutmosis III. (and animal funerals, also monkeys ...) is further to the south, in the mountains behind Malquatta. I was there on December the 19-th, 2006. Here is a report in German, but with satellite images for location and some pictures of the site :

Ägyptologie Forum ---> Architektur & Kunst ---> Felsengrab der Königin Hatschepsut in Theben-West

Greetings, Lutz.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for that lutz, i always thought the valley of the monkeys was a separate wadi in the theban necropolis. i had no idea he was thinking the area around ay's tomb.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it is a term of ordinary language. It can be used for the wadi where the tomb of the foreign wifes of Thutmose III. (and a tomb with pet funerals, also monkeys) was found and also for the West Valley of the Valley of the Kings. Every time I heard Hawass using this term he was talking about the West Valley.

Greetings, Lutz.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz you are right, there was an Egyptian team excavating to the left hand side of the track (going towards Aye) in the Western Valley when we were there in April.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if they'll find anything? as far as i know there are 3 or 4 tombs in the west valley, i dont iknow if there arnt any more there, or if they never seriously looked for burials there.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a "young Hawass" who writes that archeology should be done in a serious, scientific manner and not be based on rumors an conversations wit the natives (This is in one of the two stories on his web site regarding conversation with an old Sheikh; however when reading this I think "old Hawass" has left this track an is now into guesswork, and he'll probably will get aways with it (if you guess long enough, eventually you will guess right

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekat wrote:
Lutz you are right, there was an Egyptian team excavating to the left hand side of the track (going towards Aye) in the Western Valley when we were there in April.

Could you see what it was they were working on and how far work had progressed?
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis nothing obvious, they had gone down to bedrock at the previous site further down the track and it looked a fairly new excavation at that point. They were pretty high up (about 20 feet above floor level) on the left branch of the valley before the tomb of Aye.
Solon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: news of monkey valley? Reply with quote

These excavations must have been going on for some time. I visited western/monkey valley in Dec 2007 - saw tomb of Aye (originally intended for Tut according to some). Saw hut where Ken Weeks had base when doing Ram !!'s tomb. Amenhotep III tomb was pointed out - which the guide said was 'being slowly and painfully excavated' and told that WVT 25 nearby according to its German excavator might be tomb of Akh (presumably it must be someone else's if KV55 is Akh's resting place). Is there any news of these excavations - any results yet? A3's tomb could answer a lot of questions.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: news of monkey valley? Reply with quote

Solon wrote:
These excavations must have been going on for some time. I visited western/monkey valley in Dec 2007 - saw tomb of Aye (originally intended for Tut according to some). Saw hut where Ken Weeks had base when doing Ram !!'s tomb. Amenhotep III tomb was pointed out - which the guide said was 'being slowly and painfully excavated' and told that WVT 25 nearby according to its German excavator might be tomb of Akh (presumably it must be someone else's if KV55 is Akh's resting place). Is there any news of these excavations - any results yet? A3's tomb could answer a lot of questions.

Isn`t AIII`s tomb fully excavated yet? I thought it was.
If they speak of Akhi`s tomb there it might be one he began for himself before his move to Akhet-Aten. Would make sense to think he chose a tomb site close to his father`s as he carried on in many ways what he (AIII) had begun as we know now.

I would so like to hear news about these excavations,too, but currently there are no official announcements.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis the last time we asked about A111, 2 or 3 months back, we were told that new cracks, had been detected.

Such a shame after all the work done by the Japanese team, not only the restoration but also new lighting and a ventilation system had been installed.

We really thought we would have been able to get in there by now Sad
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekat wrote:
Sothis the last time we asked about A111, 2 or 3 months back, we were told that new cracks, had been detected.

Such a shame after all the work done by the Japanese team, not only the restoration but also new lighting and a ventilation system had been installed.

We really thought we would have been able to get in there by now Sad

And, what I understood from their (the Japanese team's) report, is that those tombs are situated in a seismic active area, they even had seismic activity while they were measuring. Now do we really need to be seismologists to see that one dreadful day they come to the tomb, only to find it completely collapsed? And wasn't there a theory that the cracks in the relief-chamber (sorry if I misspell its name) in the Great Pyramid at Giza, were caused by an earthquake in ancient times? From that + the information the Japanese team gathered I conclude that the whole area there is earthquake territory! I would let Zw Hwss in first and keep an eye on him while entering that tomb I would want to be Surprised and get my burial in "Egyptian style" too soon, if I were you!

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Even after preview: Corrections:

Zw = Zh
tomb I would = tomb I wouldn't

Richard, aka still Embarassed
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There hasn't been a huge amount of seismic activity here recently, compared with Aswan for example, but we did have a small one (4.3 from memory) in February this year.

Obviously there are the occasional large ones, like those that cracked the Colossi of Memnon and caused the destruction of some of the temples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: