Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Costuming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Costuming Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here has ever made an Egyptian costume. Like a noble one? I don't know what fabric to use. I have the basic design, but nothing more...anyone??
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: costumes Reply with quote

Nice thread! I wish they'd sell more Egyptian costumes for Halloween. Quality ones, NOT crap.

I was Cleopatra one year, but a true lover of Cleopatra would have seen that my costume was lame. A Senator seemed to like me in it though!

I have wanted to find a headdress, with the gold and blue/black bars on it, so I could make my current lover, whoever it may be at the time, wear it and pretend to be Ramesses II. I actually made a guy do that, only he had a white hotel towel to look like Egyptian royalty.

:flower:
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my wife's 40th birthday we had a movie theme party where everyone had to come as a character from a film.

My mum made Sabine (my wife) a Cleopatra costume. It was a white dress with a gold belt and gold drape The material used for the dress was similar to that used in wedding dresses. We have a shop in Chester called Abakhan which sells material very cheaply. The belt was almost like a fine chiffon type ribbon and the drape was again a large piece of shiffon doubled and then draped over the shoulders and pinned with a few stitches. Then we added a necklace, a black wig, some makeup and some old shoes sprayed with gold paint. It wasn't brilliant but it was still better than the rubbish you can buy from fancy dress shops. The only thing it really lacked, which would have finished it off, was a gold collar around the neck. But we ran out of time so that had to be left out. I think that would have given it a bit more class, but other than that it was ok.
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also depend on if you are going for looks or for accuracy.

I would personally suggest a nice white linen.
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: costumes are never complete Reply with quote

That's what I mean. Costumes are NEVER complete. Mad

Every year I go out for Halloween and somebody has some sort of incomplete Egyptian costume.. I had the same problem. In fact, I paid this guy to make me look Egyptian, makeup and hair wise, and he ruined it. I ended up looking like a kabuki hooker. He never got my business again and I never spoke to him either. I really for once in my life, wanted to have a complete Cleopatra costume, and just did not.

I suggest if people really want to be a certain historical figure for any occasion, you need to start collecting every piece for your costume NOW. It takes a year just to complete a great costume. People will notice you gave attention to it, and you'll probably win a contest.

I gave up on this, because I got so overweight, but this year has been great. I exercised much of that away and can wear nice costumes again!

Good luck, costume people!

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: