Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummies in Museums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Just adding a late comment here.
I'v thought about the subject too and at first I thought it was a little wrong even though I find it fascinating and interesting to look at the mummies in the museum.

But, then my mum pointed out that when someone dies, they are no longer in that body are they?

I suppose it can be seen as disrespectful but the person is there no longer so is it really that bad?

Often too, people have some kind of respect for the person that lived long ago and even (especially for us enthusiasts) admiration.

If I had a dead relative on display in a museum, I suppose I wouldn't really mind.

That person is famous, admired, has their life respected and things are lean't from the bodies of those mummies.

Your body can rot in a grave or be preserved in a museum.

Then again I suppose for the ancient Egyptians they believed that their bodies would be important for the afterlife.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient discussion.
My view on the case is that we can't seem to see these mummies as real people anymore. I know they are and if you think about it, it's just plain impressing to see. But at least one side of our mind tends to see these mummies as works of art. I guess that takes away a little of the 'horror' or disrespect in looking at corpses.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of a mixed opinion about this.
It breaks my heart that there are literally hundreds of mummies in the basements of museums rotting because most every museum that wants a mummy, has a mummy.

Out of respect for the dead I don't want to see a mummy unwrapping, because, I would rather leave them in the state theyare in. However in my heart, if I had the chance, I would give my eye teeth to be there.

I want to smell the mummy as they unwrap. All accounts I have read have reported a pleasent smell.

Since Ramses the Great was brought up, I would say that while he may not be happy about his exposed body. But he is worshiped to this day. He still lives by their terms. His name is remembered, it is still spoken, he lives.

And many might see it that way, it is the cost of immortality. Their names are spoken, and in a way they are worshiped.

The Science Museum in Minnesota where I used to live, had the mummy of a priest. Every time we went to the Museum I would make my way to where he lay to pay my respects. To this day I can conjure up the image of him in my mind.

I have been to see Ramses The Great's mummy and I was in awe. The dignity he exudes in death can only lead me to imagine the dignity that he must have exuded in life.

So while on one hand it disturbs me that we or disturbing their eternal slumber. On the other hand, we are giving them life once more. Because so long as your name was spoken you lived. And there are some, like Ramses whose name's are on countless lips.

So in this way, they live again. They are worshiped. They are Stone Gods.

So, while I don't like the idea of my body being displayed in a grisly fun house sort of fashion. I have to say that I like the idea of a stream of reverant worshipers coming to see how I lived.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very respectful words.
Well spoken.

How was the priest of the Minnesota-museum called?

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that I cannot remember his name for the life of me.
I remember his face, I spent so long gazing at him.

I had read in dozens of accounts that Mummies often appear to be on the verge of opening their eyes and walking away. And when you see photo's they do not do the mummy justice. You see these blackened bodies, with their hollow cheeks and yellow teeth, the shriveled hands, and the shrunken bodies.

You think how could that look life like? Some of them barely look human.

But face to face? Oh there is an energy there, a presence.

So while I am embarrassed to say I do not remember what he was called, but I do remember his face, and the feeling of reverance that I felt as I gazed upon him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: