Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA HA!
And you're older so you should know better.

*Tut tut tut*
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she calling you old Seggie?

( Twisted Evil It's my job as Priestess of Sekhmet to stir up some trouble here Very Happy )
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not old, I'm just an out-grown adolescent. Crying or Very sad
Don't overestimate me though, only 22. Wink
Else I wouldn't be so "where's a skirt there I am". Rolling Eyes

To the priestess of Sekhmet:
Your godess is a kitten. tongue6

Thank God I'm Segereh (Peacekeeper).
This would go way out of hand if I weren't...

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segereh wrote:

To the priestess of Sekhmet:
Your godess is a kitten. tongue6

That's one of the funniest "insults" I have seen in a while....

Peaceful one? Thought it meant "rebel"?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel is "sebi".
"Segereh" comes from Tutankhamen's Nebti-name:

"nefer-hepu segereh-tawy sehetep-netjeru nebu" meaning:
Perfect of Laws, who pacifies the Two Lands, who satisfies all the gods.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the 40 day's of sitting in Natron that drained the body of all of it's fluids.

1/. Take the organs out incuding the brain via hook through the nose.
a priest would paint a line on the body to indicate where the cut was to be made. Then a younger priest or acolyte would make the cut. After this was done the others would throw stones at the man chasing him out for having done harm to the body of the deceased.

Depending on the era, the heart was mummified seperatly and put back in the body, or it would be replaced by a heart scarab. The heart was treated with the most respect as how it was the seat of the soul.

There are a couple of ways that the brain was removed. For a time there was a hole made in the back of the head and it was removed in that way.

Then later, so as to do less damage to the body they started going in through the nose. They used a tool not disimilar to a crochet hook. There are two theories on how the brain was removed.
Some believe that the brain was removed in bits and peices as the hook could draw it out.

Others beleive (myself included) that they would use the hook to break through the membrane, and then would swirl the stick around till the brain was liquified. Then the head would be tipped to pour out the brains.

2/. Place organs in a Canopic jar with a god on it, which will be placed in the tomb.
Note: the heart was kept in the body because it was seen as the vital organ for life and the soul. They would need it in the afterlife.

The heart was sometimes kept seperate, if I remember correctly, and replaced by a scarab. And sometimes replaced in the body. Generally it had an amulet placed over it in the wrapping.

3/. The body was embalmed and packed to keep the body's shape. I can't remember what it was exctly made of.

The body was first dried of fluids, it was placed on a table that was at a slight angle, with grooves on it, so that the fluids could drain. This took (we believe) 40 day's.
While the embalmers mummified the body the families would be in mourning. Depending on the wealth of the family mourners would be hired, women would tear their hair out. Celebrations etc.. would not go on. The extent of the mourning, or how many were involved depended on the station and wealth of the deceased and their family.

The body was often packed with sweet smelling herbs and the like, different times used different materials. Unfortunatly in come cases it backfired on them and the stuffing ended up expanding and swelling causing the body to become deformed.

4/. It was wrapped with linen and a plastery type stuff. Can't quite remember what that was made of either.

The materials that were used on the mummy depended again, on the family and their wealth. IT ws up to the family to provide the linens. It could be linen made just for the occation, or it could be old clothing, sheets or other materials. The quality and type of wrappings give us a lot of insight into how the deceased lived.

The process of wrappings again was dependent on the era. Oils and incense were rubbed into the skin of the decased, I believe that this was partly to increase the flexibility of the body. You didnt' want to snap it into peices. They would also place protective amulets and more incense an oils. At first each finger and toe would be wrapped then the whole hand would be wrapped.

I dont' remember much about the plastery stuff, although if memory serves me correctly Tar was involved. but I am unsure.

I'm not sure about the exact order of things here cause I dont' remember all that well.

But there was also an opening of the mouth ceremony. After the body was mummified they returned to the body the ability to speak, see and hear. Then the body would be placed in it's Sarcophogous ( i know I **** up the spelling on that one.) and the image of the deceased woudl be placed on the outside.

Often these would be commisioned in youth so that the deceased looked their best. Having the image on the outside helped for the Ka to find it's body and therefore it's resting place.

Early Sacrophagi were much like we all know and recognize, the golden creations that inspire so much awe. Unfortunatly they inspired tomb robbers. Later as they gained contact with the romans they had portiats painted and then those portriats were incorperated into the wrappings.

From all accounts that I have read, the mummies have a very pleasent oder when unwrapped.

How well you were mummified was completly dependent on your station and your or your families wealth.

The most important thing was moisture. Moisture was the enemy.
The mummification proccess started out crudely as they tried to reproduce the phenomenom of the bodies burried in the desert.

We have many examples of the deceased being placed in a hole in the ground. They were put into a fetal position and burried with the essentials they would need in the afterlife. The extremely arid climate would dry out the body and preserve it before decomposition set in.

Slowly, like their religion, what started out simple and crude developed into a true artform. Most of what we know we have had to deduce from examining the mummies and what little we could find on temple and tomb walls. The traditions and process was passed on by word of mouth, and not written down.

Scientists have reproduced the egyptian method, the took a body that was donated for science and tried to recreate the process. If I remember correctly they even tried to say the spells and do the opening of the mouth ceremony. However the mans name has been witheld for his and his families protection.

. . . if you have actually read this long post I commend you. /grin
The mummification is the part I have always been the most obsessed with and have read many many books on it.
[/quote]
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha!
I was only pointing out that Seg was older then me.
Geez, you were making it out to be more then it was!

By your reaction I suppose you think that I'm cheeky most of the time Razz
Mind you I think I have been most of the time. Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMiss_Sunshine wrote:
Ha ha ha!
I was only pointing out that Seg was older then me.
Geez, you were making it out to be more then it was!

By your reaction I suppose you think that I'm cheeky most of the time Razz
Mind you I think I have been most of the time. Smile

LOL Yes I was just giving him a hard time.
It was clear to me that you did not mean at all what I implied, but I just couldn't resist teasing.

I guess that makes me the cheeky one? Laughing Cool
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have noticed that you tend to tease Seg all around the board. I don't take part at all of course. Liar
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Okay Pinnocchio, if you say so. Laughing

All I have to say to that is:
Keep Up the Good Work Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: