Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the greek princess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: the greek princess Reply with quote

i was reading up on doppelgangers, and came across this:

Quote:
In Ancient Egyptian mythology, a "ka" was a tangible "spirit double" having the same memories and feeling as the original person. In one Egyptian myth titled "The Greek Princess", an Egyptian view of the Trojan War, a ka of Helen was used to mislead Paris of Troy, helping to stop the war.

has anyone heard of this greek princess story? or an egyptian version of the trojan war?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wikipedia's page on helen of troy says that herodotus states that zeus fashioned a clone of helen out of clouds, and paris took her to troy, the real helen having gone to egypt, the priests confirming this when herodotus came. i wonder if maybe real greek royalty went to egypt in refuge at the time of the trojan war?
Osiris
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: the greek princess Reply with quote

The story of a false Helen is well known in Greek mythology as an alternative myth. The great playwright Euripides wrote an extant play based on it called "Helen" and Stesichorus wrote a poem. Rather than going away with Paris Helen was whisked away by the gods to Egypt. Paris really took with him to Troy a dopple-ganger fashioned by Hermes. In some stories this was done because Zeus wanted a massive war waged in order to deal with the world's overpopulation. I have always been under the impression that this alternative myth was purely a Greek invention and had nothing to do with Egypt aside from the setting. Herodotus mentions it as well.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would find it interesting if the egyptians were affected by the trojan war. the hittites were, and mention it in their archives. if the egyptians had a view, would it date from the time of the trojan war, or would the story have been brought in during the late period or the ptolemies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: