Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labyrinth in Herodotus' book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Aker represented as any kind of ferryman in any of the mainstay literature, but you're right about Nemty, isisinacrises. Kudos to you! Nemty is yet another ancient falcon god, and yet another one who was assimilated by Horus. In the Coffin Texts he (Nemty) is depicted as supervising Sokar's hnw boat (Sokar: yet another falcon deity!), and later yet he is depicted in texts as the ferryman of Re.

An interesting note for you, isisinacrisis, given our past discussions of Hathor and Isis. In one Ptolemaic-period text Nemty cuts off the head of Hathor, and for this crime his skin was flayed off.

As with many aspects of ancient Egyptian religion and its plethora of deities, Nemty was not widely recognized or worshipped. His worship took place, in fact, mostly in only three or four nomes. Horus absorbed his manifestations long before Nemty ever had a real chance to flourish.

In any case, though we have seen that the Egyptians had their ferryman among their gods, this is not related to the ferryman Charon of the Greeks. That's my opinion, anyway. Both cultures developed naval technologies independently, and water (i.e., the sea, rivers) was simply an important part of their civilizations. I think these ferrymen developed independently.
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Aker (I didn't remember if it was Aker or Aken ) I read a while ago in a book but I didn't remember which one so I stareted looking on the web and I found this article on touregypt about him. It did said that he was known as the ferryman, but the same thing I found about Nemty. That's why I was so confused. Embarassed
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It did said that he was known as the ferryman, but the same thing I found about Nemty. That's why I was so confused.

That's understandable. Learned scholars frequently contradict one another on matters Egyptologial. You have to dig deep and read numerous sources and carefully study any one issue before you get a clear idea on some of the more obscure areas of Egyptian religion and deities. I don't usually refer to the web for research because I'm never sure who has written what, and what the sources are. If you're not careful with the internet it can really lead you astray! Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I don't usually refer to the web for research because I'm never sure who has written what, and what the sources are. If you're not careful with the internet it can really lead you astray! Wink

A little off topic, but that's why I ususally provide a link when I do refer to a website. Touregypt is fairly good, although there are some "glitches" there as well. Most of their articles have an identified author which I like. A lot of other websites just copy touregypt's info verbatim without stating their resource (which I find annoying)
nefertiti.iwebland is pretty good as well. They have some pretty good translations of original texts.

There's a lot of nonsense out there. What I find really obnoxious is people not making a distinction between fiction and fact. I love speculating as much as the next person, and coming up with possible scenarios is something I find enjoyable and do indulge in. But specualtion is not the same as a researched opinion that can be backed up by facts.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... *she grumbles while climbing down from her soap box*

Laughing Laughing Wink
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, anneke, that I find your links to be as credible as they come. Not many people are able to find the good stuff like you. I prefer books, but the internet is fun and I will on occasion use it as a supplement.

Or maybe I'm just an old fart. I love the feel and texture of books, that whole tactile thing. And if you were to see many of my books, you would find that they'r much "loved"--I'm the kind of person who rights margin notes and such. I could do that on my computer, but in short time my monitor would be cluttered with notes. One of those dry-erase pens, perhaps? Very Happy

There is SO MUCH info out there on the internet about ancient Egypt. It is overwhelming. I shutter when I think of some young person making a serious attempt to learn more about the Two Lands, and stumbling across some crackpot's site full of disinformation. Maybe websites should come with warning labels based on their level of historical credibility?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe reminds me of one time when I wrote, for fun...'When researching ancient Egypt online, you gotta know your enemy!' Laughing and it gave a list of different types of site/researcher with a rating on how mad/sane they were...for example there are the good old 'Academics', the 'Disney Land believers' the 'Conspiracy Theorists', the 'Astro-Egyptologists' (ie the orion theory etc), the 'Alien Addicts', the 'Race Obsessives' (can be both black or white) and so on...I'll have to rewrite that for all to see.
Osiris
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting video on the Egyptian Labyrinth and on the possibility that it may still exist buried under the sand. Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqmpT6T_2tU
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herodotus's description included vast undercrofts, implying a lower structure as extensive a the upper one, and presumably subtrranean. It also mentioned a great artificial lake with two pyramids rising from it, if I recall correctly. This doesn't sound like any structure that has yet been found, and the underground parts would presumably not be destroyed by plundering of the building for stone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: