Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
stephaniep wrote:
I could not agree with you more.

I can't believe how the beautiful event that a people created out of love for their country and a desire for democracy has been destroyed by this creep Mubarak. All the fighting going on yesterday that was engineered by Mubarak thugs is awful. He can't go too soon. I have complained to all my congress people and Obama, which is totally ineffective, but what else is there to do?

Like you I find the silence about the egyptian museum troubling, but it is in keeping with silence on other troubling topics like DNA. One thing that worries me is that there are replicas of the Tut stuff that got broken (I am assuming from the fake Tut show going around the world) and if he would be unscrupulous enough to replace any broken/stolen objects with fakes to save face.

I fear that the two broken pieces of Tutankhamen are originals. The Tut exhibition with replica’s is planned to open in April in the Expo of Brussels

http://www.kingtutbrussels.be/

@Ranoferhotep: This brings up a nice question: " Who is saying that you'll be seeing the originals in Cairo? I mean they already have produced those duplicates, and if they have more of these (which you IMO safely may assume), they could use them in Cairo as well as in Cologne, Brussels, New York, or anywhere else..."

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Quote:
@Ranoferhotep: This brings up a nice question: " Who is saying that you'll be seeing the originals in Cairo? I mean they already have produced those duplicates, and if they have more of these (which you IMO safely may assume), they could use them in Cairo as well as in Cologne, Brussels, New York, or anywhere else..."

Yes, that was what I meant. They have fakes already and can make more if need be. It seemed odd to me that "everything looted in the museum has been found and can be repaired," said HawAss, and my thought was yes or replace them with fakes. Who would know? Then he can continue to demand the return of Nefertiti etc, since no harm was done.

I see on the Saqqara link in miscellaneous section that he asserts there was no damage there. So he's completely delusional like his boss Mubarak who spent over a million dollars last year successfully lobbying the US congress that there was no necessity for reform in Egypt.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to reliable sources quoted on EEF, one of the damaged mummies was in a research laboratory in the museum, and the bones seen alongside it in the photo had nothing to do with it; the other one was poorly preserved - it had white spots of fungi on it - and was probably stored out of sight. It seems strange that the looters should have targeted two of the most inaccessible mummies in the place. Are we, after all, dealing with a sham, a put-up job? It wouldn't be the first in ZH's glorious career...
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Granite wrote:
We are talking about an 82-year-old autocrat, who has used all possible means for the last 32 years - vote-rigging, torture, murder and other forms of oppression - to hold on to power.He has to go. He is the problem, not the solution.

The part about his ruthlessness was never in question. We will just have to see if he can help change the constitution before he goes.
And I never said he was the solution, just that he could play a role in bringing the solution about much more efficiently and quickly if they could get him to cooperate (big if)
And if not, they will have to figure out how to get over that hurdle. The real answer may just be that all of this will take time.

Granite wrote:
Maybe then we can get back to talking about antiquities.
So b----- off , Hosni, and take Zahi with you (otherwise he'll never go)!

Very Happy Ah yes, back to Ancient Egypt.

HAWASS TODAY CONFIRMS THE 2 MUMMIES TO BE "UNIDENTIFIED"

http://www.drhawass.com/blog/sphinx-sad?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Drhawasscom-New+%28DrHawass.com+-+What%27s+new%3F+Feed%29

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split off two separate threads:

One about Hawass: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5564

One about Mubarak: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5563
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
Toth wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that was what I meant. They have fakes already and can make more if need be. It seemed odd to me that "everything looted in the museum has been found and can be repaired," said HawAss, and my thought was yes or replace them with fakes. Who would know? Then he can continue to demand the return of Nefertiti etc, since no harm was done.

I see on the Saqqara link in miscellaneous section that he asserts there was no damage there. So he's completely delusional like his boss Mubarak who spent over a million dollars last year successfully lobbying the US congress that there was no necessity for reform in Egypt.

I donít think they put copies of the treasure of Tutankhamen on display in the Cairo museum. The reason why they made the copies in the first place is because Egyptian authorities donít want the originals on a road show anymore. They are a) to vulnerable b) it is almost impossible to get an assurance for them, since no one is really able to tell their value. Personally I have no problem of going to see the copies when they come to Brussels and in fact Iím even glad they have made them. If something, like it looks like in this case, should happen to the originals, we still have the copies. In any case, it is off course many years ago, but in í87 I saw the originals in Cairo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: