Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retirement in Luxor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Retirement in Luxor Reply with quote

Hi all .I just wanted to know what they property situation is like to buy i n Luxor.With less than 30 years to retirement.Me and my other half are pondering the idea of retiring to a holiday home in Luxor at 65.Ideal scenario would be to buy in Luxor to spend 6 mnths winter their,and 6 mnths in the Uk,although that might get too expensive.
Ive looked up websites on google,and it seems that being totally realistic it would be an appartment rather than a house as they seem in short supply.
Although a long way off I don't think its too early to consider the idea.
Ive met brits before who have moved to Luxor.Some have lived there 30 years,and started there own businesses.
So I know it is possible.I am just curious at how diffucult it would be.and to keep the fairly modern lifestile western people are accustomed to.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks Very Happy
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this site informative and helpful for your questions. It lists apartments for rent, chat with people living there--quite a bit of good information and interesting to explore:

http://www.luxor4u.com/
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sales and purchases of property have been suspended until further notice in Egypt.
If you are serious in your desire to semi retire/retire here I would recommended you employ a fully qualified lawyer (one from Alexandria or Cairo would be better than a "local" one!) and use a fully licensed estate agent. I would strongly recommend coming and renting a flat or villa in various parts of the city for a few months at a time in the areas you think you like before committing yourself. Living here is very different from being on holiday here. Luxor can be as "Western" as it is possible to get in the "Middle East" if you want it that way but a "Western" city it is not. You really need to take an extended holiday, rent a flat and "live" here to understand the fundamental differences and difficulties of living in Luxor. Having said that Luxor is becoming more and more Westernised every year.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree with Kevin, especially about renting before you buy. You really need to take a long term rent before making the commitment, holidaying is very different from living here. Day to day practicalities like shopping, transport, (power cuts!) take quite a bit of getting used to. Driving is a nightmare but does give a lovely freedom.

We retired here with the intention of doing 6 months here & 6 in the UK over 3 years ago but have chosen to stay all year round now (yes it gets pretty hot in the summer!) that's what aircon is for. We don't regret making the move but I think approx 50% of the people who do it after just holidaying here leave.

A western lifestyle is quite feasible, there are the odd things which are difficult to get (like marmite & branston pickle) but you can get them brought over by friends Wink

We would not buy though, nobody can predict what the future will bring politically. Who could have foreseen the revolution 6 months ago? We hope to be able to stay here indefinitely but who knows, a fundamental regime may repeat the action of the past & throw all foreigners out Sad As Kevin says the law changed without warning to ban the sale of property to foreigners, that has not stopped properties being offered though Rolling Eyes Nearly all the land on the West Bank is Government owned & designated farm land (& therefore not for building) however there are thousands of properties on there, many of which are sold to foreigners.

Interest rates are high so if you invest the money you would have spent on the property you can pretty much pay rent & live on the interest whilst keeping the capital. Smile
Cleeo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful idea but Hekat has some very good points indeed. I would also suggest renting rather than buying.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Retirement in Luxor Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
Hi all .I just wanted to know what they property situation is like to buy i n Luxor.With less than 30 years to retirement.Me and my other half are pondering the idea of retiring to a holiday home in Luxor at 65.Ideal scenario would be to buy in Luxor to spend 6 mnths winter their,and 6 mnths in the Uk,although that might get too expensive.
Ive looked up websites on google,and it seems that being totally realistic it would be an appartment rather than a house as they seem in short supply.
Although a long way off I don't think its too early to consider the idea.
Ive met brits before who have moved to Luxor.Some have lived there 30 years,and started there own businesses.
So I know it is possible.I am just curious at how diffucult it would be.and to keep the fairly modern lifestile western people are accustomed to.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks Very Happy

We share a dream Axenabdw, so i will be keeping a close eye on the advise given on this thread. thanks to the contributors so far.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope to make that dream a reality Styler78.Me and other half are going at the beginning of October on Honeymoon,and its her first time.Lets see what she makes of it.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
Lets hope to make that dream a reality Styler78.Me and other half are going at the beginning of October on Honeymoon,and its her first time.Lets see what she makes of it.

Hi Axenabdw,

My wife and i spent our honeymoon in Egypt- on a Nile cruise (in 2008). I hope your experience is as enlightening for your other half as it was for mine. We had an equally great time together and i am sure you will too.

Stuart.

Very Happy

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: