Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The army has arrived!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: The army has arrived! Reply with quote

The air reverberated to the sound of a heavy truck coming through the village of Abydos today. Nothing unusual in that as we often get the huge 11 ton ramla trucks coming through the village but this was different, deeper, more bass, a sound you felt in your bones more than you heard. The army had arrived! But they past by the barracks nestling on the edge of the village and then they rumbled past the sublime Temple built by Seti lying serine at the desert edge, at one with it's backdrop of mountains. The rumbling truck went on through the village, passing the supremely carved Temple of Ramesess and on further onto the desert plain. They swung sharp left before entering the sacred way that winds it's way across the barren desert plain to the 1st Dynasty tombs towards their ultimate goal, the old Egyptian mission house, an oasis of green in this sun blasted, undulating landscape. But they are not here for a sightseeing holiday they have arrived at their new posting. Their duty, to protect one of the most populous burial grounds in Egypt from the continuous nightly onslaught from looters. Applause
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! It sounds like it was very necessary at this point.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This great to hear, hopefully they will succeed in their mission.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news Kevin Very Happy
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German mission is here working in Umm el Qa'ab which accounts for the army presence. Apart from them "guarding" the Germans they have had ZERO impact on the looting. Now I am finding plastered and decorated tomb chambers opened and destroyed, (beautiful geometric designs in monochrome as well as multi colour) smashed grave pots and dismembered mummies intermingle with segments of plaster laying scattered and discarded over the sands. I have made inquiries and the southern section of the plain has suffered just as badly as the Northern section. Down there you have the 12th and 18th dynasty complexes and city remains as well as tombs of the 1st and 2nd dynasty nobility. If this continues there will be nothing here for researchers and archaeologists, it will be a baron sea of undulating red pot shards like the red desert to the north.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is dreadful Crying or Very sad

Can the Americans who have been working there not petition the authorities?
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated the Looting Database? Their last comment is "Update 6th March: there are reports that the army have moved into Abydos to secure the site"
Obviously they don't know the reality Crying or Very sad

http://egyptopaedia.com/2011/
Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated now. I try to keep track of Kevin's posts in here and report them o the looting database.
Kerri
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no American teams in Abydos right now. The travel warning keeps most crews from being able to come and the teams that were there had to go home when the revolution began. A crew of Americans isn't expected until next month at the earliest. Crying or Very sad
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the American mission does get here they will be shocked to see the extent of the illegal digs. There are several within line of sight of the excavation they were working on by the walls of Shunet el Zabib (both on the flat desert area as well as the mastaba field). Also there are many more within a stones throw of their excavation site in the mastaba field. I would respectfully suggest that instead of a season of excavation they make it a season of consolidation and rescue. I have not been to my land for 3/4 days for various reasons and I dread what I will see when I go later this morning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: